Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How did you go about having "the talk" with your young child?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

I'm 32 weeks pregnant with baby number 2 and for a few weeks, my three year old (4 in December) daughter has been asking me how the baby got in my belly. I always ask her how she thinks it happened, just to see what she thinks and see if I can somehow play off of what she says. She replies with "God put her in there", to which I respond with, "that's exactly right." That answer worked for her for a few weeks, until she recently started asking, "how did God get the baby in your belly?" Again, I asked her how she thinks, and she says, "He gently put her in through your bellybutton." By that point, I acknowledge her answer, but I don't confirm, nor deny it, because I don't want to have to tell her later on that she was lied to. I tried telling her tonight that how the baby got in there is something I'll tell her when she's a little older and more able to understand everything, but that Mommy and Daddy made the baby together and God put her in there for us.

How have you mamas gone about telling children that little how the baby got in there without going through a whole sex talk that they won't understand and are a bit too young for? 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:54 AM
My first never asked. Ever. Lol. Dd asked when she was little like that. I told her I'd tell her all of the details when she's older. (I knew it wouldn't fly). She waited like 30 seconds and said "I'm older now, what's the deal?" Lol. I just told her. Sex. Grown ups have sex and it makes babies. She didn't like it, but she was satisfied. Lol. I couldn't sugar coat things with her, so I just didn't. It's great fun now that she's a teen and doesn't sugar coat a thing for me either. I really wish she did. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 1:03 AM
My first was only 2 when I got pg with my second. He called the baby "Kitty" and that was the extent of his acknowledgement.

When I got pg with my 3rd my other 2 were 7 and 5. I bought a book and was ready for the questions. They never came.

I've answered questions over the years but we've never sat down and had "the talk".
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Oct. 20, 2017 at 1:08 AM
They asked.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 1:10 AM

We just told them that daddy and mommy loved each other so much that we made a baby. They didn't ask how and we didn't explain

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 1:12 AM

Here is a bump for you my kids never asked or was inquisitive about my pregnancies.  I have large age gaps too.  My 1st and 2nd were 7 & 8 when #3 was born they never asked.  #3 was 6yrs old when #4 was born and he never asked either.  

3gr8tKids
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 4:39 AM
I never did understand the culture in the United States and the hesitancy to have open dialogue about human reproduction.

Instead we sexualize human form and make it something lewd.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 4:48 AM
I straight up told my dd first and she said eeewww gross mom.

Aaahhh just the answer I was looking for.
bluefirewolf
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 4:51 AM

when they seemed old enough to understand I told them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 6:45 AM

I don't believe a child that young needs to know about intercourse. I would let it go with God helped mommy and daddy get that baby in there. Each person has to decide what they want their child to know at what age.

My old neighbor told her DD 3 all about it. She is an only child so no it wasn't because he DD asked. She went into the whole menstrual cycle everything. Her DD clearly didn't grasp it. What her DD did grasp was Stuffing wads of toilet paper in her panties and announcing to everyone she had her friend. Her mother thought it was hysterical and would prompt her to talk about it. Kid would be walking around in a dress with a trail of TP hanging out. 

PJMM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 6:55 AM
Ds was very young so idt he really asked. I might have said the baby is growing from an egg inside me. Later on i probably said dad also puts his sperm inside the mother to make a baby. But it was a series of conversations not some big thing. KISS applies here... keep it simple, stupid.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)