Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Big and small ways you are parenting differently

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:28 AM
  • 26 Replies
My mom dropped the ball in some minor ways with me. She didn't bring things up with me and instead waited for me to magically feel comfortable going to her about it.... which felt so awkward and so that communication/teaching never happened. I figured it all out on my own. Examples: buying bras for the first time, shaving legs, buying deodorant. With my daughter I'm doing the opposite. I'm trying to be proactive about opening these lines of communication early.

"Today I noticed that a lot of girls in you class are starting to wear bras. I know you don't need one yet but let's go to Target to buy you some so that you can have them to wear when you want to." The very next day she started wearing them even though she hasn't started developing yet. I wanted to make sure she didn't feel like the only girl without a bra.

What types of things are you purposefully doing to parent differently from your parents?

by on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:31 AM
3 moms liked this
"I'll give you something to cry about" came out of my very own mouth not so long ago, so...

I turned into my mother. Oh well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:36 AM
I'm actually parenting my kids.
desertlvn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol!! Yes, I've found some unfortunate ways I've turned into my mom, too. "What, are your hands broken?" Is a beauty that has found itself into my lexicon.

Quoting Danesmommy1: "I'll give you something to cry about" came out of my very own mouth not so long ago, so...

I turned into my mother. Oh well.
desertlvn
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:39 AM
Care to share any examples?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm actually parenting my kids.
beco8627
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I honestly parent very similar to my mom. I appreciate everything she instilled in me.
I'm different from my dad in the sense that I don't abuse my children. Plain and simple.
Unfortunately I can be somewhat of a push over and too lax, which is the opposite of how I grew up
Theresa1209
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom was awesome, so I mimic her a lot.

Eta she didn't teach me the importance of savings at all. I'm trying to teach my kids differently. She's a spender and so am I. So that's been a struggle to change.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom has some mental Illness. Idk what exactly. She has been treated for paranoia and depression but that the tip of the iceberg. I taught her when I had my son that babies cry when hungry. She really didn't know that. So I wasn't fed when hungry as an infant. Great. Well that explains my trust issues.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Setting boundaries, making them do chores, talking about the important things in life. Just being a stable influence in their lives.

Quoting desertlvn: Care to share any examples?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm actually parenting my kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:50 AM
Same as you actually, I think my mom wanted to deny that I was growing up since I was the youngest of 4 so she would never discuss anything slightly uncomfortable with me. I either had to learn it on my own or my older sister helped me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I have had to change how I thought I should parent and how I intended to parent because my child is on the spectrum with AdHd and anxiety.
I have to be more of a manager before each and every situation to help manage him thru difficult times.
I have to be an advocate for him at school. I need to be an occupational therapist (sensory and fine motor), speech therapist (pragmatic and artuculation)and social skills director to ensure he develops the skills he needs.
I have to model calm behavior even under extreem duress. I have to make good, smart choices in the moment or make things worse. I have to be more consistent, more direct, less sarcastic than I wanted to be. I have to problem solve and be a detective to figure out behaviors to ensure they are handled correctly and effectively.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)