Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is $10 reasonable?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
My neighbors son misses the bus about once a week. I get home from taking my kid to school and I find him sitting on my porch because he needs a ride.

He is 16. He has a job. But he doesn't have a car. I've offered to have him just ride with us for free. He never does though. Then he misses the bus and wants a ride as soon as I get home.

It's a 15 minute drive without traffic. Traffic easily doubles it. So I'm thinking of telling him from now on he can either catch a ride when I take my kid, make sure he makes the bus or pay me $10 when I have to make a second trip.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:53 PM
I would just say no.
left.drowning
by Fix Me on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't drive him if I offered the first ride and he said no. I wouldn't make a 2nd trip.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:55 PM
I would. But his parents work almost an hour away. I'd rather know the kid is in school.

His mom knows what has been going on and is very appreciative. I jokingly said I was going to start charging him for rides and she said I should charge him. He has a job and is old enough to deal with consequences on his own.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I would just say no.
Geeez17
by Emerald Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:55 PM
Quoting left.drowning: I wouldn't drive him if I offered the first ride and he said no. I wouldn't make a 2nd trip.

This
halleys_mommy_1
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM
Well if mom is ok w it....

Quoting Anonymous 1: I would. But his parents work almost an hour away. I'd rather know the kid is in school.

His mom knows what has been going on and is very appreciative. I jokingly said I was going to start charging him for rides and she said I should charge him. He has a job and is old enough to deal with consequences on his own.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:58 PM
You're all enabling him being irrisponsible and sleeping in when doesn't feel like getting up. He is late and needs a ride weekly, that's beyond absurd.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I would. But his parents work almost an hour away. I'd rather know the kid is in school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 12:59 PM

Not my kid, not my problem. That's on his parents to get him to school, not you. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 20, 2017 at 1:00 PM
Which is why I am going to start charging him.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You're all enabling him being irrisponsible and sleeping in when doesn't feel like getting up. He is late and needs a ride weekly, that's beyond absurd.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 1:02 PM
Lol you really think he is going to responsibly pay when he can't even manage to catch a bus? He is still going to be late whether he pays or not, you're really into enabling huh.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Which is why I am going to start charging him.
Quoting Anonymous 2: You're all enabling him being irrisponsible and sleeping in when doesn't feel like getting up. He is late and needs a ride weekly, that's beyond absurd.

Empty_silence
by on Oct. 20, 2017 at 1:03 PM
That’s on him. I wouldn’t do it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)