Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why I refuse to bring cupcakes to school for my kid's birthday

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 220 Replies
For context, my kids are elementary school aged.
While it is nice that our school welcomes these celebrations (and I've tried it once or twice), I won't anymore because:
-there's always someone with dietary restrictions (which I completely understand! But don't want to buy 3 different things) or someone who complains about what you bring.
-basically buying 2 cakes each year (home party and for the class). That adds up.
-I know my kid won't eat his lunch when cupcakes are brought in. He should, but he doesn't & is so hangry by pick up.
-coordinating with the teacher for the right time and then something comes up and
I show up with 36 cupcakes and they're in the middle of a lesson or at resource.😵😵

We celebrate so much at home. I even will send a special treat--in their lunchbox! It seems like the kids have these treats each month or several times a month and I'm like, surely I'm not the only one who skips this "new" (eta: for me) tradition?!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2017 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
We aren't allowed to do cupcakes anymore at our school. :/ Stupid California laws.
Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 3:52 PM
2 moms liked this
I took 36 cupcakes for my kiddos class at 2:30 on his bday. Teacher and kids loved it. No restrictions either. Can’t wait for the Halloween party!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 3:53 PM
Its not new at all......

I get what you're saying....

Our schools here dont allow any outside food so as much as I have always wanted to do this for my son we can't. :( so we make goodie bags instead.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this
My sons class is going on an overnight class field trip on his birthday. I'll be sending a nice cake with them. Idgaf about the things you pointed out, just care that my kid feels special.
lilblu399
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 3:53 PM

My kid's school doesn't allow it and I'm glad. When I become a teacher, I'm banning such things from my classroom as well(If the school has a policy to allow it). 

Titanium
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 3:53 PM
I think schools are trying to discourage that, for all the reasons you mentioned. It was expected when my kids were little and it just caused more mess and mayhem then anything else.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 20, 2017 at 3:54 PM
Well obviously if you're away from your kid overnight, on their birthday, of course you want to make sure he still gets that.

Quoting Anonymous 4: My sons class is going on an overnight class field trip on his birthday. I'll be sending a nice cake with them. Idgaf about the things you pointed out, just care that my kid feels special.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 3:55 PM
4 moms liked this
I send in whatever my kid wants. We had one kid with an allergy. His mom had treats at school for him for when there was something brought in he couldn't eat.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 3:55 PM
We aren’t allowed to send anything baked at home. So I got some of that pre sliced Hershey cake from Wal mart and sent that with my kid. She took it to class first thing in the morning and they saved it till snack time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 20, 2017 at 3:55 PM
Good!! I think it is just too much. I can just imgine from the teachers POV, dealing with that times however many kids you have.

Quoting lilblu399:

My kid's school doesn't allow it and I'm glad. When I become a teacher, I'm banning such things from my classroom as well(If the school has a policy to allow it). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)