Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD has THE WORST...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

Gag reflex ever. She gets braces put on Monday. She just turned 12 five days ago. How can I help her? She yawns and swallows all of the time, so the thing they put between her tounge and teeth, what they use to ker her mouth open, everything is going to be a huge problem. Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 20, 2017 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jws120567
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 9:57 PM

I have the same problem, I literally cried the last time I was in the dentists office trying to get x-rays done, and I'm nearly 50.  I feel for her, I really, really do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 20, 2017 at 9:58 PM

I don't have gag reflex. 

Quoting jws120567:

I have the same problem, I literally cried the last time I was in the dentists office trying to get x-rays done, and I'm nearly 50.  I feel for her, I really, really do.

lovingladyo4
by on Oct. 20, 2017 at 9:58 PM

Notify the orthodontist well ahead of time so they are prepared with a back-up plan. Call tomorrow.

Dannygirl25
by on Oct. 20, 2017 at 9:59 PM
Honestly I had the same issue and the ortho just took their time.if I remember correctly they just used a lot of air blown and cotton rolls. That friggen thing made my mouth water and I’d gag so we did away with it
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 9:59 PM

It is normal and there is honestly nothing you can do.  Trust me they are used to it, they will know what to do to help her.  

Dannygirl25
by on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:00 PM
Those wedge film things are terrible. I use the smallest and I’m like gagging.

Quoting jws120567:

jws120567
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:01 PM

I almost puked in my lap, it was awful.

Quoting Dannygirl25: Those wedge film things are terrible. I use the smallest and I’m like gagging.
Quoting jws120567:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:05 PM
My dd11 has to be freaking sedated, even just to get her teeth cleaned. It's horrible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:06 PM
Push your thumb down with your index finger and apply pressure. No gag reflex.
https://lifehacker.com/5858128/shut-off-your-gag-reflex-by-squeezing-your-left-thumb
Dannygirl25
by on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
It’s better then those cardboard ones that they had before but shit.... then the thankfully I found a dentist that wasn’t a twat about them and very relaxing

Quoting jws120567:

I almost puked in my lap, it was awful.

Quoting Dannygirl25: Those wedge film things are terrible. I use the smallest and I’m like gagging.

Quoting jws120567:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)