Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fighting the airline

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:31 PM
  • 56 Replies

I just got a notification that the airline changed our ideally scheduled, single-layover flight to a double-layover flight that takes off three hours earlier. Besides this meaning that we have to cancel important plans, it also means that we will be hauling grumpy kids and a dog through two airports instead of one. I already called the airline and there are no flights later than the one we are newly booked on until the next day - also not going to work. Any ideas for how to get them to give us some kind of compensation for our troubles? An upgrade to better seats or free checked luggage, extra frequent flier miles or something?

by on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:33 PM
Is that stuff in all carriage contract?
PJMM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Ask. Tell the ticket agent this is really an inconvenience. Can you comp us anything for our trouble?
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:35 PM

We could ask for a refund, but these are holiday tickets that I booked some time ago, so everything available on other airlines is significantly more expensive. We are contemplating whether the plans we have to cancel are worth the extra few hundred dollars to cancel with Delta and rebook with someone with a later flight.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Is that stuff in all carriage contract?

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:36 PM

I'm just not sure what to ask for. It's more than an inconvenience - it means that one of the two reasons we are even going on the trip is suddenly off the table.

Quoting PJMM: Ask. Tell the ticket agent this is really an inconvenience. Can you comp us anything for our trouble?

ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:37 PM

I dunno but i wish they wouldn't change it. they changed the times on our flights last trip, but we were able to switch to a different time that worked better for us and didn't have to do the late flight they were trying to make us do.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:40 PM

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/when-an-airline-changes-itinerary/

This says you can request a refund, which is what I would do and fly another airline.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this
sammiesmom2000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:45 PM
Your first mistake was flying delta, they suck. They always pull this crap but they may give you food vouchers for the inconvenience but unless they ground the flight somewhere because of weather I doubt they will do anything else.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this
PJMM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Then I'd ask for first class or miles. Tell them what you're telling me.. that you booked this flight and made plans around it. See what they'll do but I'd ask for more than i think I'd get so they'll negotiate. Or if it's really an inconvenience, a refund and voucher.

Quoting B1Bomber:

I'm just not sure what to ask for. It's more than an inconvenience - it means that one of the two reasons we are even going on the trip is suddenly off the table.

Quoting PJMM: Ask. Tell the ticket agent this is really an inconvenience. Can you comp us anything for our trouble?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)