Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They broke up over a tie

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 149 Replies
1 mom liked this
DS's girlfriend crossed a line last night. We were out shopping for homecoming suits for DS. He wasn't super into it because dances aren't his thing but his GF really wanted to go so, he's going. I helped him pick out a suit that fits him perfectly. I tried to sell him on a bow tie, but that was just a little much for him so he passed on that. It's perfectly acceptable to not wear a tie. It's homecoming, not prom. On the way home, the GF texts him and asks what color his tie is. He told her he wasn't going to wear one.

SHE
FLIPPED
OUT

She went on and on literally demanding that he get a tie. At first, I told him she's just excited and to reassure her that it will be fine. She wouldn't drop it. He told her he didn't like her trying to dictate what he wore. He wasn't doing that to her. If he didn't feel comfortable in a tie, he shouldn't have to wear one. She STILL wouldn't stop. TWO HOURS PASSED AND SHE STILL WOULD NOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE DAMN TIE. So I told him to tell her that the subject is dead. We were not going out to spend more money on a tie. The suit was $400, shoes $175, belt $40. We were drawing the line at spending more money on something he didn't want and would never wear again. The end. She starts to insult us, saying we "weren't in the fashion industry" (ummm, neither is she), "we wouldn't spend $2 on a tie" (where the hell can you get a $2 tie from?!?!), "we don't give 2 fucks" (if we didn't care, we wouldn't have bought a damn thing since our kid didn't want to go anyway).

I mean, here she was pulling a dress out of her closet because its the only formal dress she has and they cant afford to buy another one, while totally slamming us for a freaking fashion choice. She completely lost her mind.

So, instead of accepting that she can't control everything she lashed out and crossed a line by talking down to DS and insulting his family. Now she has to go to homecoming alone because DS dumped her. She brought it on herself. Her behavior really was too much.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2017 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
engagedandproud
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 21, 2017 at 12:57 PM
She's crazy
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 21, 2017 at 12:57 PM
I cannot imagine engaging in that level of teen drama and angst. Over a homecoming dance. Lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2017 at 1:00 PM
I was astounded. It just didn't stop. We are just super laid back in our house. DS was totally exasperated so he wasn't really responding except to say "I'm wearing what I want. It will be fine." That upset her too. Ugh. Some teenagers....

Quoting Anonymous 2: I cannot imagine engaging in that level of teen drama and angst. Over a homecoming dance. Lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 21, 2017 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Uuugh I am not looking forward to my children becoming teenagers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2017 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Right?!? Straight crazy town.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Uuugh I am not looking forward to my children becoming teenagers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 21, 2017 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, that's crazy, but why are you so involved in it? If your kid is old enough for a girlfriend. He should be old enough to handle things on his own. Really, if she's that high strung, he should be happy to be rid of her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 21, 2017 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

How weird you were involved in all that. 

TCain0001
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2017 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for him!  He shouldn't have to deal with her bullshit attitude over a tie (and I agree--where the hell are the $2 ties?  Every tie I've seen runs $15-$20, minimum, and that's at JCPenney and Kohl's).  Not to mention, she's pulling that on him when she's recycling her dress?  Um, just no!  My dd got a new dress for homecoming for both junior and senior year (not counting her prom dress)--yeah, it was a struggle for me to get them, because I was the only one working at the time (my dh physically can't work) and on a very tight budget, but I managed to juggle the budget to where I could get them, and planned ahead on buying them.  She's ridiculous!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 21, 2017 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a feeling OP is overly involved in his life and is probably exaggerating quite a bit.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Yeah, that's crazy, but why are you so involved in it? If your kid is old enough for a girlfriend. He should be old enough to handle things on his own. Really, if she's that high strung, he should be happy to be rid of her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2017 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol!!! I couldn't care less about his social life. He was in the car with me because I was paying. He wasn't sure what he did to set her off and I said nothing. She's stressed. nbd. I was wrong she's just that high maintenance. He's happy. I'm happy he's happy.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Yeah, that's crazy, but why are you so involved in it? If your kid is old enough for a girlfriend. He should be old enough to handle things on his own. Really, if she's that high strung, he should be happy to be rid of her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)