Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SM has to get rid of her dog or my ex will lose custody

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 266 Replies

About 6 months ago DS was eating some food when he dropped some of the floor. He went to pick up the food and SM's dog attacked his hand. He ended up needing 18 stitches and still doesnt have full function of his hand. 

I guess SM's dog is food aggressive and she never mentioned it to anyone. 

They agreed to keep the dog away from DS at all times. I still took it to court to keep it in writing. I wanted them to just get rid of the dog but SM said that he is 12 years old and going to die soon. That she would feel horrible finding him a new home. Animal control wouldnt have the dog euthanized because it was the first time anything happened. 

The plan was to keep the dog up in their master bedroom/bathroom which has a door outside. That way DS would never be around the dog and she could still keep it. I said fine but the first time I found out they didnt keep them separate I am going to court for contempt

Well I kept my word. The first time DS was there and the dog was not kept away he went outside and called me and I came and got him. My ex was pissed but I didnt care. 

We just had the other court date. The judge was not happy with SM or DH. He ruled that the dog had to go or DS no longer had to go to his dads house. That he could have visitations outside of the house. The judge gave him 30 days to comply (with getting rid of the dog) 

My ex wants SM to get rid of the dog. She refuses. He is pissed at her.  DS is sad he isnt seeing his dad as much but glad he isnt around the dog. He is very afraid of it at this point. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 21, 2017 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
reaandiziesmama
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2017 at 6:00 PM
30 moms liked this
If ds is old enough to go outside and call you he's old enough to stay away from the dog.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 21, 2017 at 6:02 PM

I don't know what to say.  BM would choose her guy's dog over her kids any day.  Be grateful you get more custody.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 21, 2017 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't blame you. It stinks that she's putting the dog over your ds and your ex is letting her.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 21, 2017 at 6:05 PM
If the dog is food aggressive, keeping the dog away when food is around would have been the way to go..but yeah.. I am on your side.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 21, 2017 at 6:05 PM
I would be happy I get more time with ds. I would also go back yo increase cs since dad won't be providing for him anymore. This is all if dad doesn't fix the situation, of course.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 21, 2017 at 6:05 PM
How old is this kid?
FreyaM
by on Oct. 21, 2017 at 6:08 PM
11 moms liked this
I don’t blame you but I also don’t blame SM. I wouldn’t get rid of my dog in this situation either.
ilovemykids323
by Emerald Member on Oct. 21, 2017 at 6:09 PM
7 moms liked this

if i was the ex... i'd get rid of SM and keep my kid... there's no way i'd lose the kid over her dog. no way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2017 at 6:10 PM

The dog is faster than him and at this point he is very scared of him 

Quoting reaandiziesmama: If ds is old enough to go outside and call you he's old enough to stay away from the dog.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 21, 2017 at 6:11 PM

8 almost 9 

Quoting Anonymous 6: How old is this kid?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)