Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prayer in Sports

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2017 at 6:36 AM
  • 56 Replies
We are in the bible belt. We are not bible thumpers, yet not anti religion. I just believe prayer etc should be reserved for privacy. Yes I know there are churches etc, but I'm talking public places like school.etc. well after my sons football game both teams huddled together. I guess they were praying. I.just thought that was kind of odd. I have nothing against religion and prayer but I just believe people need to pray in their own time and own way. I just don't remember praying as a group outside of church. I'm not going to forbid my son from doing this, but they are assuming every kid believes the same way etc. And honestly I don't think God is controlling the outcomes/health of these players. If so then no one would get hurt. What lesson would there be in that.
by on Oct. 22, 2017 at 6:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 22, 2017 at 6:49 AM
I agree. My dad goes to a private Lutheran school, so I'm ok with them praying before games, outside of that, no way! We live in a very diverse faith area and need to respect that everyone does not believe in God.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2017 at 6:49 AM
I think it's odd that they would pray after the game, seems more like a before the game thing to me.

We're not religious, but I bet when my kids are on a baseball field they are, lol. It wouldn't matter to me
KitschyMeow
by Meowtyme on Oct. 22, 2017 at 6:54 AM
One or two of the teams my dd's sports teams played against were christian school. They always prayed before and after the game. It was the only time that happened. The coaches left it up to the kids if they wanted to do it or not. I did see a few times when one of the teams said no. As long as it is the kids doing it, I don't see the issue.
Nixie.Pixie
by ☠Nixie☠ on Oct. 22, 2017 at 6:56 AM
I dont think prayer belinfs in school at all. Especially not grouo prayer. Now my questuon is, is if a kid doesnt want to pray after tge game and walks away would there be peer pressure oe repercussion for doing so?
lovemercygrace
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 6:57 AM

Our Cross country team ( public School) not on school grounds btw,  prays before they run,and  they say the Lord's prayer, I would imagine if someone doesn't want to say it they don't have to.They are all huddled up when they do it. I do believe the majority of our community is Christian. I don't know what they pray for, but I would imagine they pray that they do well, and no one gets hurt ( and by that I mean any of the runners not just their team) And probably that the weather stays nice. Who knows? I will have to ask my son. I dont know if the track team does, they probably do. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 22, 2017 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Apparently the teams huddled together do not find it odd.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Oct. 22, 2017 at 7:03 AM

It just doesn't bother me.  If that is what the coach wants to do with his team then whatever.  Your child can opt out if it's a big problem for you (general you)

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 7:06 AM
I totally agree with you. I think that doing this is uncomfortable for some.
mom2twinboyz
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 7:07 AM
No my son is perfectly fine with it, just the first time I saw group prayer in sports (maybe 2nd). I just don't see where prayer fits in to sports. I realize he could opt out. I'm not bent out of shape enough to do that. Let's just congratulate each other and move on. As long as nobody was seriously injured they needed to pray over etc.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

It just doesn't bother me.  If that is what the coach wants to do with his team then whatever.  Your child can opt out if it's a big problem for you (general you)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 22, 2017 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Not everyone believes the way you do. Some people aren't ashamed to pray in a group outside of Church. Simple as that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)