Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So why do you think restaurants are failing?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 108 Replies
I read an article not too long ago that stated millenals are killing the restaurant.

So why do you think places like chili’s and Olive Garden are losing customers?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2017 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2017 at 5:44 PM
My town adds new restaurants every year.
angkorsaway
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 5:44 PM
14 moms liked this

Because they aren't very good chain restaurants and smaller, quaint places have better food with chefs at similar price points. Maybe it's just me?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 22, 2017 at 5:44 PM
2 moms liked this
My best guess would be people want real food that is not prepackaged, made by real chefs. They also are supporting small businesses more.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 5:44 PM

Where I live restaurants are thriving, I can't answer for other areas.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 22, 2017 at 5:44 PM
Because they are disgusting chain restaurants and people don't want to spend their limited disposable income on overpriced, nasty, microwaved food in a mediocre, chain environment. I will never eat at a place like that under my own volition.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 22, 2017 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I hate eating out. It costs too much and is too much work.  I'd rather cook.  I'm a millennial.

lancet98
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 5:46 PM
5 moms liked this

Why do restaurants fail?  Because they have ALWAYS failed.  Very few restaurants survive, and that's been true for a long, long time.

Chilis and Olive Garden are losing revenue to restaurants that are more trendy.  It's not possible to be in top demand unless one keeps changing, and chain restaurants tend to change too little and too slowly.

Also, this group of restaurants, like Chilis or Olive Garden, all the middle priced restaurants, are trying to serve up frozen, mostly rewarmed food that is totally standardized and unvarying.  They're really just like fast food restaurants like McDonald's, except they have tables.  The food isn't any better.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I read an article not too long ago that stated millenals are killing the restaurant. So why do you think places like chili’s and Olive Garden are losing customers?

jesusismyfriend
by Love All on Oct. 22, 2017 at 5:46 PM
2 moms liked this

50% of businesses fail the first year. This is mostly due to financial mismanagement. With millenials I believe it has to due with the fact that they just don't have money to go out. They have massive student loan debt plus they are saving for a place to live and start a family.

3gr8tKids
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Food service = not from scratch.
Not clean enough for my taste
Mediocre service.
I can make a better meal at home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 22, 2017 at 5:47 PM
Because people buy everything online and no longer leave their houses. Even my grocery store takes online orders now, takes 10 minutes to load them and I don't even have to get out of my car. Same with a lot of sit down restaurants now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)