Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

its not illegal to drive with no damn shoes on!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 77 Replies

ffs why do I have to say this so god damn often? that is an old wives tale, it is NOT illegal to drive with no shoes on. I've had to say it to my dad, to my aunt, to my stepmom and then to a fucking COP today. we were at the beach. I had stopped because my ds wanted a soda out of the cooler and I didn't put my flip-flops back on. so I went to the trunk, got the soda, went back to the driver's side and got in. as I was handing the soda to my ds a cop rolls up, his partner knocks on my window and asks if I'm going to put shoes on before I take off. I said no, why would I? he then said it was illegal. and smiled and said sure and asked if he needed anything else. he then went on to lecture me about it which ticked me off so I politely said "sir, it is not illegal to drive barefoot in all 50 states." he typed on his computer for a second and then told me to go.

ffs it's not illegal, it's not dangerous either.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2017 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poietes
by Laura on Oct. 22, 2017 at 8:20 PM

Yeah I agree. I would have asked him to show me the law. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2017 at 8:21 PM

I only do it when i wear heels

MenopauseManiac
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 8:22 PM

How odd, this came up in conversation earlier today.

K3412
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 8:23 PM
3 moms liked this
I will agree it's not illegal if you are informed on that aspect, but I disagree that it isn't potentially dangerous. In the event of a car accident or other emergency, should you need to exit the vehicle, having shoes on could save your feet from severe injury. I never drive without secured shoes on for that reason. Same reason I wear tennis shoes when we shelter from potential severe weather.
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 8:23 PM

I don’t like driving without shoes on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2017 at 8:23 PM

if I'm wearing any type of shoe I take them off the right one and put it on the seat. I sometimes even take the sock off because I hate it. I usually just wear flip flops though.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I only do it when i wear heels

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 22, 2017 at 8:23 PM
In some states it is illegal to wear flip flops while driving because it can get stuck but barefoot probably not
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2017 at 8:25 PM

my flip flops or shoes are always in arms distance or foot distance I can easily put them on if something happens. but no it's not dangerous to be barefoot while driving. after the fact you have an accident is kind of a moot point.

Quoting K3412: I will agree it's not illegal if you are informed on that aspect, but I disagree that it isn't potentially dangerous. In the event of a car accident or other emergency, should you need to exit the vehicle, having shoes on could save your feet from severe injury. I never drive without secured shoes on for that reason. Same reason I wear tennis shoes when we shelter from potential severe weather.

PJMM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 22, 2017 at 8:25 PM
Idk but my dad would have lectured you about the flip flops. He believes flip flops are dangerous to drive in and people are better off going barefoot. Something about they don't stay on a person's foot well. So if he caught me driving with them I'd get yelled at. And i probably had to change shoes a time or two.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 22, 2017 at 8:25 PM
When I first started driving I could t wear shoes I needed to feel the pedal with my bare foot. It was weird but worked for me
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)