Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I didnt want to single her out but her service dog cant come!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 204 Replies

I am having a small halloween party/haunted house for some family and friends. My friend asked if she could bring her boyfriend and his kids. I said it shouldnt be a problem

I asked DS if he knew the kids (they all go to the same school) he said the girl in his grade seems cool but he avoids her. I asked why and he said she has a service dog. DS is very allergic to dogs. He is on medication for it and even carries an inhaler and an epipen just in case. He has gone into anaphylactic shock before because of his allergy. 

I realized that chances are she was going to want to bring her service dog (obviously) and that just wasnt an option. We cant risk having the dog in the house. It could set off DS' allergies and it could cause issues for a long time (dog dander is not the easiest to get rid of) 

I called my friend to tell her about DS' allergy. I figured she didnt remember me mentioning it or something. She said she knew but didnt think a service dog would be an issue... because it is a service dog. I told her that people can still be allergic to them. She said well obviously but you cant discriminate because of them. 

At this point I was pretty irritated. I mean this was something in my house... I wasnt willing to risk anything. I told her it was nothing against her and I wish the situation was different but ti was too much of a risk to have a dog in my house. That I hoped she understood my feelings. She got upset and said she didnt. That I was a cold hearted bitch. That she couldnt believe I was singling out a disabled child 

I told her she was no longer invited and hung up.

I really couldnt believe it. We havent been friends for long but I thought we were getting closer. It wasnt like i just didnt want the dog there just because. I have a major concern and my son comes first. I cant risk his life

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sammiesmom2000
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:11 AM
9 moms liked this
I don't blame you, your son's health has to come first.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:14 AM
34 moms liked this
Like he's magically not going to be allergic because it's a service dog, lol? Ridiculous.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:14 AM
6 moms liked this
For some reason, people think a service dog gets a free pass. Sure, in public, yes. In someone's private home? No. If there is a situation where it's dangerous to your child, you are completely in the right to say no, the damn dog can't come. So freaking sorry, but your kid's health is more important than that mutt.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:15 AM
7 moms liked this
That’s got to be tough! You did the right thing. It’s not a public event she’s prohibited from attending; it’s your private home that would pose a risk to your child.

You did the right thing; I’m sorry it went the way it did.
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:16 AM
8 moms liked this
Do people not realize service dog laws only apply to places open to the general public? I swear people are stupid, I wouldn’t have a problem with a service dog at my house but no one in my house is allergic and we have dogs, your child’s health comes before anything else in your home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

It is horrible that her dd is being singled out because of her disability requiring her to have a service dog to live. It is horrible that your ds has an allergy that he is allergic to dogs.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:18 AM
5 moms liked this

Your private residence isn't covered under the ADA, lol

She's  a fucking IDIOT

zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:18 AM
2 moms liked this
You can "discriminate" against anything in your own home
osubaby1990
by on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:19 AM

in this situation i get it. Your sons health comes first. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Honest question because I have literally no experience with that kind/or extreme allergy, but if she was to get real close to him with having pet hair on her, could that set him off? And what if she got it on your furniture?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)