Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler refusing to eat

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
I know this is a normal thing but I'm really getting annoyed. He won't eat anything. He only drinks milk and water. I've thought about not giving him liquids so he might be more hungry but then he'd get dehydrated, right? I offer him food but he just shakes his head no. I end up wasting so much food it's insane. I'm almost to the point to where I'm thinking I should just not even offer food bc he's just going to refuse and the food will be thrown away!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2017 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DensHag
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 1:17 PM
Have you taken him to his Dr? That would be my first suggestion. I wouldn’t cut off all liquids but please have him seen by the Dr and then go from there.

I hope you are able to figure things out for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 1:18 PM
I went through this with my ds. I cut him down to a small cup if milk in the morning but to get a drink with his meals he had to eat. I still do it, I wait until hes about half way done eating to offer him a drink. He'll be fine its not blazing hot summer anymore. You can also try smaller frequent meals instead of big ones. My ds went through a phase where Id feed him bites as he was playing because if he was distracted he didnt notice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2017 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this
No, I haven't. I thought this is a normal toddler phase. I'll definitely make a call and at least talk to the nurse.

Thanks.

Quoting DensHag: Have you taken him to his Dr? That would be my first suggestion. I wouldn’t cut off all liquids but please have him seen by the Dr and then go from there.

I hope you are able to figure things out for him.
HoneyedMacabre
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 1:20 PM

You dont have to give him water every time he asks for it, water/milk could be filling him up.  I would offer milk/water only after he had something to eat.

And I would mention it to his pediatrician.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2017 at 1:20 PM
Ok. Good idea! I'll try anything !

Quoting Anonymous 2: I went through this with my ds. I cut him down to a small cup if milk in the morning but to get a drink with his meals he had to eat. I still do it, I wait until hes about half way done eating to offer him a drink. He'll be fine its not blazing hot summer anymore. You can also try smaller frequent meals instead of big ones. My ds went through a phase where Id feed him bites as he was playing because if he was distracted he didnt notice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2017 at 1:21 PM
Ok. He doesn't have a lot of water and milk but it could definitely be enough to fill his tummy.

Quoting HoneyedMacabre:

You dont have to give him water every time he asks for it, water/milk could be filling him up.  I would offer milk/water only after he had something to eat.

Isaacsmom913
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 1:21 PM
How much milk is he drinking a day? Sounds like he may be filling up on liquids. Maybe try pediasure so he is getting his nutrients.
HoneyedMacabre
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 1:23 PM

Its surprisingly easy for a little one to fill up on liquids.

If only that worked for adults....lol...no one would be overweight.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Ok. He doesn't have a lot of water and milk but it could definitely be enough to fill his tummy.
Quoting HoneyedMacabre:

StonesGirl66
by Alexandra on Oct. 23, 2017 at 1:26 PM
My boys did the same. I was concerned that all they wanted to do was drink milk, too. At a regular doctors appt I mentioned it to him. He told me he couldn't tell because his weight was fine. He went on to tell me to give them milk, don't push the food and they would come out of the phase.
Doctor was right, too.
HHx5
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 1:26 PM
You should talk to the doctor. Only offering water might help him get hungry. Offer finger foods like chicken tenders and peeled apple slices or cut up grapes if he has enough teeth. Toddlers do tend to eat only when they want to. I know what you mean about wasting food. I used to let my toddler eat off my plate. I can fix myself more if needed and you can only warm up or prepare so much food before it goes bad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)