Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Heck no! I will hike alone if I want to!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies
1 mom liked this

So recently, a woman was attacked while hiking on some local trails.  (Story here.)

Since then, I keep hearing how unsafe it is to walk or hike alone . . . and that just makes me angry.

Why should I have to stop doing something I love to do because of the slight chance some idiot man might attack me?  I think not!

I hike alone every single morning on trails near my house.  I am not going to stop.  I will not allow fear of some stupid criminal to stop me from living my life.

Do you avoid doing certain things for fear that you'll be assaulted or attacked or worse?  Why?  Don't let the jerks win!

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2017 at 2:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:00 PM
I hike quite often on my own.
I prefer it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I have taken many years of self defense. I won't stop living my life because something might happen.
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:03 PM
I run in the early mornings around the local park. I'm watchful of my surroundings. I wouldn't hike alone though, I'm chicken in the woods
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Concealed carrier
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:07 PM
I do avoid current areas but not because of humans.

I avoid any trail that has confirmed moose, black bear and brown bear sightings
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:09 PM

I hear it's difficult to get a gun permit in my state.

Anyway, I don't want a gun.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Concealed carrier

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:10 PM

We don't have that kind of wildlife in the trails by my house . . . just coyotes and rattlesnakes.  I'm not scared of coyotes but I am always on high alert watching for rattlesnakes . . .

Quoting Anonymous 5: I do avoid current areas but not because of humans. I avoid any trail that has confirmed moose, black bear and brown bear sightings

tsatske2
by Latricia on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:14 PM
2 moms liked this

No, I don't believe in letting the bad guys win. I believe in taking precautions, if there are warnings that bad things have been happening on your trails, carry a body alarm, mace, even a gun, whatever you need to feel safe, but don't quit living your life. 

ThatDancerGirl
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:15 PM
Just one of the many perks of being a female.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:16 PM
I'd rather not drive, but I gotta. Lol

I'll be honest, I wish my dad didn't take up hiking. It worries me all the time! He'll leave Friday and come back Sunday. Sometimes I'll hear from him during the weekend, sometimes I don't. He goes between 20-30 miles a weekend. I prefer the day hikes for him lol

Then this crazy guy wants to retire and backpack in other countries.... without a sat phone!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)