Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sisters destination wedding

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 76 Replies
My sister recently got engaged (yay!). She wants her wedding to be in nyc where her fiancee lives to accommodate the elders in his family. We (as in) a majority of our side of the family live in California. The issue is theres no way i can afford to take my family of 5 to nyc. Other members of the family have voiced this as well. What would be the best way to make up for not attending? I feel horrible for not being able to go but its just not going to be possible :(
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Does your sister live in California now?  Perhaps suggest that they can come out to the west coast for a celebration and offer to help plan it? 

Can you go on your own? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:06 PM
5 moms liked this
Get married in NYC and have a family reception on california.
happinessforyou
by Platinum Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:08 PM
5 moms liked this

How come you can't attend your sister's wedding? You don't have to take all 5 of you for a fast weekend trip.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:10 PM
Have her live stream the wedding so you can virtually attend.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:10 PM
Either you go by yourself or have a party for her in California with the rest of the family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:11 PM
She does live here in cali. Ive made the suggestion (in attempts to kinda let her down with the bad news that i cant go a little less painful) that she can have a celebration here for those of us who cant go and she got upset. She doesnt want to do that, she prefers to jave just one celebration. I would go alone however she feels that its a family thing. If i can go then i should bring the rest of the family. I feel i cant win.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Does your sister live in California now?  Perhaps suggest that they can come out to the west coast for a celebration and offer to help plan it? 

Can you go on your own? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:11 PM
Just go yourself.
illogicalkat
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

That is your sister. Go by yourself. She'll understand your kids and husband not attending, but you should not ditch her wedding completely. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:12 PM
I suggested this to her and she got upset. Insists that if i can go i need to bring the rest of the family.

Quoting happinessforyou:

How come you can't attend your sister's wedding? You don't have to take all 5 of you for a fast weekend trip.

illogicalkat
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2017 at 3:14 PM
6 moms liked this

You tell her "tough shit, we can't all come." Ask if she's offering to pay airfare and hotel rooms, if she's that set on everyone being there.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I suggested this to her and she got upset. Insists that if i can go i need to bring the rest of the family.
Quoting happinessforyou:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)