Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Handicap parking...at what point do we draw the line?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 324 Replies
3 moms liked this
I suffer from OCD, depression and anxiety. These are technically classified as “disorders” and in some extreme cases are considered a handicap. This does not mean that I’ll willfully park in a handipcap spot. Handicap parking should be reserved for PHYSICALLY disabled people and cancer patients going through treatment. If you have a mental disability you should NOT be parking there. I just had this discussion with a coworker and they disagreed. What are your thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sailor.Moon.Mom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM
9 moms liked this
I think I don’t care where people park.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM
5 moms liked this
I disagree. I can imagine that there are certain cases where someone with a mental illness might need to use a handicap space.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 13, 2017 at 3:23 PM
43 moms liked this
I thought it was extremely obvious that handicap parking places were for the physically disabled. Like stupidly, blatantly, obvious.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 13, 2017 at 3:24 PM
3 moms liked this
I thought so too but look at the comment above yours. It isn’t so obvious for some!

Quoting Danesmommy1: I thought it was extremely obvious that handicap parking places were for the physically disabled. Like stupidly, blatantly, obvious.
mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Nov. 13, 2017 at 3:24 PM
18 moms liked this

i think i'm with you. if you have a mental handicap that precludes you from walking an extra 20 or 30 feet then you probably shouldn't be driving.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 13, 2017 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Um I've never heard of someone with a mental health concerns with a disability tag. I've seen them for people who have autism for the flight risk. I've seen it for people with severe asthma. And then physical needs and epilepsy too.
Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on Nov. 13, 2017 at 3:25 PM

Totally agree...

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 13, 2017 at 3:25 PM
Geez.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I thought so too but look at the comment above yours. It isn’t so obvious for some!

Quoting Danesmommy1: I thought it was extremely obvious that handicap parking places were for the physically disabled. Like stupidly, blatantly, obvious.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 13, 2017 at 3:26 PM
3 moms liked this
You should only park there if you have a handicap placard
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 13, 2017 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Physically handicapped and people whose mental handicap requires closer parking...that's pretty simple.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)