Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dh wants to leave her home....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 134 Replies
Friday we're going to go to NYC to have an early thanksgiving dinner with dh's side of the family. We're staying the night and coming back saturday morning. The city is about 2 hrs away from where we live. My 14 yr doesn't want to go. We're not close with dh's family and she doesn't feel comfortable around them. She also hates going into the city. Usually when we go shopping there we leave her home but it's always a day trip. She's never been left alone all night before.

She wants to get off the bus at a friend's house then stay there until 9, then have her friend's parents bring her home. I told her she has 2 options.. come with us or go to her friend's house and then spend the night at my mom's house. That's when dh said we should just let her stay home. My dad and stepmom live across the street and my mom lives 5 minutes down the road. I'm sure she'll be fine but she is 14. Dh thinks that because we have left her home alone for the same amount of time during the day then she'll be fine at night. That's my issue though...it's at night.

I asked my niece if she could stay the night at my house with dd and she said no because she has to work late and be up early the next morning. But she told me she can come check on her and maybe stay an hour after work and before work saturday morning. I trust dd but I don't think I'm ready to leave her by herself overnight. Would you leave your 14 yr old overnight?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Diiwica
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:29 PM

Risky, look up your state's laws. Then decide if she is responsible enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:29 PM
2 moms liked this
No way and my daughter is almost 16
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
With your parents close by like that? Sure. I know this probably won't be all that comforting, but I was a mom myself at 16, on my own. Your DD is 14, not 10. She'll be fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:32 PM
I just watched a home video on the news of a woman taking her dog out and a stranger chasing her in the house. She was able to shut the door, but..he was still on her porch saying open the for... I couldn't leave mine do young.
Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:33 PM
I honestly dont know. My instinct is I wouldnt, though.
terra221
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:34 PM
Kids have been known to sleep through smoke detector alarms and that would make me nervous. Do a test of this to see if she wakes up. If she does, I would let her stay home.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:34 PM
4 moms liked this
No freaking way. She's 14.

She can stay with the friend, with your dad, or go with you.
boys2men2soon
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Hell No!  No, no, no.     Why can't she stay at your Dad and stepmom's?  Or your Mom's?   

She would either be staying with family, spending the night at a friend's or she would go with me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Nope 14 year olds don't get to dictate what they do
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Nov. 13, 2017 at 11:36 PM
4 moms liked this
Who is in charge at your house?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)