Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I will not accomodate any dietary requests at Thanksgiving

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 363 Replies
14 moms liked this

I am making a traditional thanksgiving the way I always prepare it. I will not make everything vegan, I will not do gluten free, I will not leave out x, y, and z.... I am not messing around with any of that. 

If you want to eat at my house you are welcome to eat what I make, how I make it. If not you are welcome to bring your own food. 

The last few years I have had a lot of requests to change what I make. I tell everyone the same thing

My SIL is pissed because I wont make things gluten free or have vegan options. Others have asked for other things. She says I am the worst hostess. I disagree. I have over 30 people coming it is impossible to take everyone's preferences into account.

If she wants something else she can bring it herself of find somewhere else to come. We will have fun with or without her. Same to anyone else who is demanding I change what I make. That is my confession 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:46 AM
3 moms liked this
I am the same way. I will not alter the food I make. I make it the way I want. If you do not like it do not eat it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:49 AM
At least you tell them up front. Sil hosted one year and we specifically asked if she would rather let us know what had dyes and a few other ingredients ds couldn't eat or should we bring his own food. Oh no problem I will check ingredients and let you know. So we show up and not only did she not check them but she wouldn't let us see the packaging to check them ourselves! Said she was too busy to deal with our kids allergies. Yeah I get that but that's why I asked up front what you wanted us to do!
Poor kid ate salad without dressing and cheese for thanksgiving that year. And the cheese was only because my brother got it out for him so he would have something to eat.
lancet98
by Ruby Member on Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

And SILLY ME, I thought THANKSGIVING was about gathering together and giving thanks.

NO....SILLY ME...it's about serving people stuff they aren't comfortable eating!  How did I MISS that?!!!

And yeah, in fact, you CAN offer vegetarian and vegan and gluten free options.

GLUTEN FREE is so freaking easy and many thanskgiving dishes already are.  Vegan also.

BUT NO....it's all about you!  Yay you!

Gluten free stuffing as a 2 minutes to make casserole, with wild and white rice and pecans....yum, full of protein, vegan, gluten free, and....delish.  

Green beans - instead of gloopy soup for a sauce, use a puree of pumpkin seeds - from my Gourmet recipe book.  Tasty!

Salad dressing made of tofu - 2 minutes to make.  Throw together a green salad and set out the dressing.  Gluten and vegan.

Turkey without stuffing is gluten free.  I generally make turkey without stuffing it as it cooks faster, the dressing absorbs less fat. 

I make a pumpkin pie without a crust that's egg and milk free (vegan).

I am not either but I am always ready to try a new recipe.

AN EVEN SIMPLER WAY to handle it is to ask the vegans and glutenfrees to make and bring a dish they like, to pass.  Others can partake of those dishes or not.  

bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:49 AM
3 moms liked this
My mom cooks the way she does and then makes a big salad.
For Christmas this year I am going to make some diabetic friendly desserts, so she doesn't have to alter
her normal recipes for my brothers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:51 AM
7 moms liked this

I am not going to worry about any of that. It is hard enough to cook for that many people. I am not going to worry about what is or isnt gluten free or what is or isnt vegan. If you want to do that good for you. 

If she wants a vegan thanksgiving it wouldnt be hard for her to get it herself. 

I dont think anything I make is vegan except the salad if you dont have dressing 

Quoting lancet98:

And SILLY ME, I thought THANKSGIVING was about gathering together and giving thanks.

NO....SILLY ME...it's about serving people they can't eat.

And yeah, in fact, you CAN offer vegetarian and vegan and gluten free options.

GLUTEN FREE is so freaking easy and many thanskgiving dishes already are.  Vegan also.

BUT NO....it's all about you!  Yay you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:51 AM
4 moms liked this
Neither will I. If you come to my house to eat, you can take it or leave it. If you take it, it's less clean up for me. If you leave it, there's more delicious leftovers/less cooking later for me. It's a win-win for me either way.

Yup. It's all about me. Yay me!
MonarchMom22
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

So glad we have a holiday gathering where all families bring some dishes.  It ensures there is always something each person can eat, we enjoy each other's cooking, and it doesn't overwhelm the hosting family.  I'd much rather eat something that was non-traditional then not share the meal with family. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
You sound like a lovely hostess.

ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:52 AM
14 moms liked this
I think people with dietary issues need to make their own food and bring it. Sorry. My husband can't eat ground beef. When there is a cookout, we bring our own turkey burgers. We don't force other people to accommodate us. My MIL is a vegan. She makes her own dishes for Thanksgiving, I see nothiing wrong with what you're doing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:54 AM
3 moms liked this

So you would rather potentially kill a guest than make a couple of dishes safe for them to eat? 

You strike me as the type of "hostess" who would put known allergens in a dish and lie about it because you think the person is exaggerating. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)