Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I will not accomodate any dietary requests at Thanksgiving

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am making a traditional thanksgiving the way I always prepare it. I will not make everything vegan, I will not do gluten free, I will not leave out x, y, and z.... I am not messing around with any of that. 

If you want to eat at my house you are welcome to eat what I make, how I make it. If not you are welcome to bring your own food. 

The last few years I have had a lot of requests to change what I make. I tell everyone the same thing

My SIL is pissed because I wont make things gluten free or have vegan options. Others have asked for other things. She says I am the worst hostess. I disagree. I have over 30 people coming it is impossible to take everyone's preferences into account.

If she wants something else she can bring it herself of find somewhere else to come. We will have fun with or without her. Same to anyone else who is demanding I change what I make. That is my confession 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2017 at 10:43 AM
Replies (361-363):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 79 on Nov. 18, 2017 at 1:04 PM

Unless someone couldn't eat something because of a medical condiction, I would not be accommodating. Someone who has Celiac disease and literally cannot have gluten is very different from a person who simply wants to try the latest gluten-free diet trend. Unless there's an allergy issue or a certain food makes you ill, I will not alter my preparations. Good for you for sticking to your guns. Throughout my life, I've brought a dish to the house of whoever hosts simply to be a DECENT HUMAN BEING. I think it's rude to show up to a party/gathering with empty hands. Tell everyone it's a potluck style Thanksgiving. If they wants their wishes accommodated, they can bring something that appeals to them. You're already working hard to feed thirty people. If they want something special, they can bring it. 

AnnabellesMom
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2017 at 1:12 PM
Gluten-free is so easy! I am doing a g/f & dairy-free thanksgiving dinner. My friends that are coming texted me yesterday & asked what they could use instead of butter to help accommodate us. Kindness reigns ;)
zeesmuse
by on Nov. 18, 2017 at 9:42 PM

What is it about people forcing their dietary issues on everyone else? I'm diabetic - it's my responsibility to make sure I don't put potatoes or bread or rice on my plate and eat and I will bring 2 sugar-free desserts. It's THAT easy, people!!!! My mom is cooking and she has enough to deal with cooking for 15 people without have to jump hoops for everyone's special taste buds!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)