Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Marriage first...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 73 Replies
Reading the post about putting the marriage first... made me wonder why if the marriage is first in the American families (it feels like a cultural concept) .... the number of divorces remains high compared to other countries where... there’s no such concept and the kids are always the most important part of a family?

What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:14 PM
3 moms liked this
I think that the reason the divorce rate is what it is, is because too many people get married too young and too fast.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:15 PM
I agree with this.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I think that the reason the divorce rate is what it is, is because too many people get married too young and too fast.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:16 PM
4 moms liked this
I think the average American is incredibly selfish, which then creates dysfunctional marriages.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Divorce rate is still high in the U.S. at 53%. But Spain, Portugal, Luxembourg, the Czech Republic, and Hungary are worse off with divorce rates higher than 60%. Belgium has the highest rate of divorce in this data set at a staggering 70%. The lowest official rate is in Chile with 3%

*this is my Google search for divorce rates per country
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I think many American families have the "children first" philosophy at the expense of their marriage.

I also think that divorce is pretty socially acceptable (as is single parenthood) and that it isn't that hard to be a single parent in the US. And we have some notion that marriage should be easy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:19 PM

Thie divorce rate in russia and the uk are not that much lower than the us....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
It’s so high because people replace what’s broken instead of repairing what’s broken.
ShesSoUnusual
by Cat on Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:20 PM

All I know is that for me, my child will always come first. My husband knew that going into the marriage too, and he agrees. 

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:21 PM

Many people think of marriage as disposable in today's society. They don't think about what is going to happen when they tie themselves to someone. As soon as something happens, they are quick to look for a way out. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

VEROMORA24
by Member on Nov. 14, 2017 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
That and they don't understand how to make a marriage work. They get too into their own feelings and selfish desires that they forget about becoming of one flesh and loving your spouse and always wanting to make them happy and vice versa like you would want to be treated. And not letting every little thing a reason to leave. Have respect, being faithful and loyal to one another. Putting kids first above the relationship doesn't work. You have to have a healthy marriage and relationship to be able to direct the children right. Caring for the children tho is another story. The needs for the children come first before selfish needs of a relationship. You make sacrifices for your children. Or compromises.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)