Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Women with high stress jobs- how do you deal with burnout?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
I work at a hospital and my department is down to the bare bones with staffing. This of course means all vacations are put on hold and mandatory overtime as my department is considered critical staff. This topped with a unsuccessful audit by the state has everyone on edge. We now have production quotas (we have to work so many accounts per day) as well as collection goals we must meet or get put on corrective.

I have always been an model employee. I have missed 1 day in 3 years, never been late, always met or exceeded my goals, and maintained a 99% average on my QA's over the past 3 years. They expect alot out of me and I've never failed to deliver.

Lately I've been feeling so burnt out. I put in for my first vacation in 3 years and was denied due to staffing. Mind you I put in for this PTO 6 months ago and was told verbally it would not be an issue. I come home and have a stress ball in my neck and can't seem to turn off because people are always calling me for help. It's super messed up to say but I feel like the only person who knows what they are doing sometimes outside of leadership and it's getting really annoying. These people make the same wage they should put out the same effort. I know, I know that's really messed up to say but hey it's anonymous right?

I feel like if I keep going at this rate my work is going to suffer. I used to love my job now I dread going in. Any tips you all use to avoid burn out would be greatly appriciated. I don't want to leave my job so quitting is not an option. I could switch departments but I'm good at what I do and I did at one time enjoy it. I just want to get that spark back.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 16, 2017 at 8:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mmm2015
by Eldouchedegrande on Nov. 16, 2017 at 9:07 PM

i don't let myself get burnt out, thankfully i have had a boss and now work for a compnay that promotes a good quality of life outside of the work place. They see the value in it, so their good workers that they are invested in, don't get burnt out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2017 at 9:11 PM
I love my boss actually. She really tries to promote a healthy work environment and cares about her employees. The problems come from staffing. It's a high stress job and takes a certain type of person to do it well. That coupled with the added stress of the state audit is just the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

Quoting mmm2015:

i don't let myself get burnt out, thankfully i have had a boss and now work for a compnay that promotes a good quality of life outside of the work place. They see the value in it, so their good workers that they are invested in, don't get burnt out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2017 at 9:17 PM
I work out. I run every morning and take a late lunch most days to hit the gym at work. I also try to be careful about getting enough sleep, eating cleanly, and not overextending myself on my days off. I make it a point to step away from the computer when I can and catch up with coworkers. If I have too much at work, I delegate small projects to my team or rework my schedule. My company literally forces you to use your PTO too which is nice. We can only carry over 40 hours from year to year and any excess rolls into a disability bank. Basically unless you plan to be out on medical, it's use it or lose it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2017 at 9:22 PM
I need to start working out again it's just so hard to find time (I know, i know excuses). If I'm not at work I'm running my 2 teens around for sports or band or something and when I get home I just want my bed. Eating healthy has gone out the window too as I have been cooking freezer meals more and more lately since I just don't have the energy to cook a healthy meal. I'm only 35 and I feel 60 some days.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I work out. I run every morning and take a late lunch most days to hit the gym at work. I also try to be careful about getting enough sleep, eating cleanly, and not overextending myself on my days off. I make it a point to step away from the computer when I can and catch up with coworkers. If I have too much at work, I delegate small projects to my team or rework my schedule.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 16, 2017 at 9:25 PM

Can you afford to just quit - take 6 months off - and then reapply?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2017 at 9:29 PM
No unfortunately. I have over 200 hours of PTO though and really need a vacation. I feel like the least they could do is approve my PTO, my shift could be easily covered but they said they need to be consistent and no PTO till our new group of trainees is done with training. It takes 6 weeks of solid training and they can't start till December since that is when the next orientation is. So I need to find a way to cope till after the holidays.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Can you afford to just quit - take 6 months off - and then reapply?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 16, 2017 at 9:43 PM
Oh I hear ya! It's the exact same situation in my house. I'm really lucky though because my husband works from home three days a week so he pitches in a lot with preparing meals and keeping up with laundry. Gets him out of driving the kids all around to their activities though. We have a really nice gym in the basement of my building so it makes working out very convenient. Some days though...mid afternoon rolls around and I can barely remember what I did that morning. I told my coworker the other day that I feel like I'm developing dementia because I hyperfocus on whatever I am working on but then keep forgetting the date or my work phone number. It's gotta be from stress. Working out is one of the only things that helps me decompress when I get like that.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I need to start working out again it's just so hard to find time (I know, i know excuses). If I'm not at work I'm running my 2 teens around for sports or band or something and when I get home I just want my bed. Eating healthy has gone out the window too as I have been cooking freezer meals more and more lately since I just don't have the energy to cook a healthy meal. I'm only 35 and I feel 60 some days.
Quoting Anonymous 2: I work out. I run every morning and take a late lunch most days to hit the gym at work. I also try to be careful about getting enough sleep, eating cleanly, and not overextending myself on my days off. I make it a point to step away from the computer when I can and catch up with coworkers. If I have too much at work, I delegate small projects to my team or rework my schedule.
thebadkitty
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2017 at 9:46 PM
2 moms liked this

No one can do high stress job productively year after year. Everyone gets burned out. Either they start hiring more staff or it is time to find a new job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2017 at 9:46 PM
Haha a coworker came to me for help today and I just couldn't....i was like on autopilot and told her to ask the boss. It was a simple question too but it's like my brain shuts down. I call them brain aches.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Oh I hear ya! It's the exact same situation in my house. I'm really lucky though because my husband works from home three days a week so he pitches in a lot with preparing meals and keeping up with laundry. Gets him out of driving the kids all around to their activities though. We have a really nice gym in the basement of my building so it makes working out very convenient. Some days though...mid afternoon rolls around and I can barely remember what I did that morning.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I need to start working out again it's just so hard to find time (I know, i know excuses). If I'm not at work I'm running my 2 teens around for sports or band or something and when I get home I just want my bed. Eating healthy has gone out the window too as I have been cooking freezer meals more and more lately since I just don't have the energy to cook a healthy meal. I'm only 35 and I feel 60 some days.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 16, 2017 at 9:48 PM
We should be fully staffed by the new year the problem is it takes so dang long to train new employees. 6 solid weeks before they can hit the floor. My whole month of December is filled with training new hires. My brain already hurts as this significantly cuts down on my ability to handle my own workload.

Quoting thebadkitty:

No one can do high stress job productively year after year. Everyone gets burned out. Either they start hiring more staff or it is time to find a new job.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)