Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nephew not "wanted"?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 152 Replies

kinda a spinoff to that thanksgiving post where the DIL invited her friend but MIL said the friend could not come to her house so they are just doing thanksgiving at DIL's house and now MIL is upset because she can't see the kids.

anyways, my nephew was 17 last year. His dad and stepmom moved 2 hours away and he didn't have his license yet so his mom asked if we would take him with us the day after Christmas because my inlaws live right near my nephew's dad (my brother) so he could see his dad.

My SIL and BIL were hosting Christmas and when we told them that we will have my nephew with us and we told them why, they wrote on text "do we need to buy your nephew food?" Whether it was a poor choice of words or not, i felt very offended by this. When I host holidays, there is always plenty and always room for one more (and more than one more!) The more the merrier! 

I told them no, they did not have to get food for him and we would bring leftovers from Christmas Day. 

How would you have felt?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2017 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2017 at 10:20 AM

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2017 at 10:21 AM

Southern_Song
by Jo on Nov. 17, 2017 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Thats awful. Of course be should be treated the same.
Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM
4 moms liked this
The only person who should be offended is BIL and Sil. Why is it so hard to understand you dont invite people to someone elses home
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 17, 2017 at 10:24 AM

I don't understand why he would be eating there?  Aren't you dropping him off at his dad's house? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2017 at 10:26 AM

his dad (my brother) was going to be at work so my nephew was going to hang out with us for a few hours.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I don't understand why he would be eating there?  Aren't you dropping him off at his dad's house? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 17, 2017 at 10:26 AM
3 moms liked this

Would they have gone bamckrupt if they had to buy enough to feed one more person? Some people are just too cheep. Yes, I would have been absolutely offended.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 17, 2017 at 10:27 AM
2 moms liked this

I would have asked what she meant by that so she could clarify if she was wondering if he would be staying there and needing anything special, or if he would be there for the big meal so that she would make sure to have enough and set a place for him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2017 at 10:27 AM

The only thing I could see doing differently is to ask if it would be okay. We wrote that we will have our nephew with us.

I truly never thought it would be a problem. Now I know the type of people they are. I always knew SIL was a stuck up bitch but I just didn't think she would stoop to that level of acting like it's a problem to have another kid for Christmas.

Quoting Talkingheads: The only person who should be offended is BIL and Sil. Why is it so hard to understand you dont invite people to someone elses home

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2017 at 10:28 AM

and they are VERY rich too!!!!!!!

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Would they have gone bamckrupt if they had to buy enough to feed one more person? Some people are just too cheep. Yes, I would have been absolutely offended.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)