Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The math teacher yelled at my kid

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 127 Replies
In math today, Ms J told the kids to log onto the computers and go to some website. She was walking around the room looking over their shoulders. She got to my kid and yelled, “I was going to explain to you how to do this! Now you’ve gone and gotten them all wrong! I guess you are too smart to learn from me? Is that why you’re failing my class?”

My kid was humiliated and cried “a little”. Someone laughed. Dd thought she was supposed to start and thought she was doing it right.

Dd is failing math. She bombed the first chapter of this quarter, but she is working harder. There’s is no makeup work and no extra credit, so the F isn’t going to change until grades from the new chapter go in.

She is in 9th grade. She’s always disliked math because it’s boring. She struggled with math until 6th grade, but does better now. Last quarter she had a B.

She is shy and quiet and doesn’t respond well to yelling. Yelling shuts her right down.

I really don’t know what to do or say. Her school doesn’t allow teacher changes after the first week. She told me this by text during lunch. She doesn’t want to go talk to the school counselor.

Really, what do I say to her?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2017 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 17, 2017 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd email the teacher and let her know if she humiliates my kid again, I'll be contacting the principal.
young_lv_mom
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this
Maybe set up a meeting with the teacher to sit and go over how to help your dd in her class. Ask her what is expected and how things are handled. I would get both sides of the story before making a big deal of something. But mostly I would tell her next time she is not sure if she should move on or not she should ask.
mjande4
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 2:13 PM
12 moms liked this

First, you need to not perpetuate her idea that "math is boring".  You need to reinforce that it is important that she works hard, gets in for extra help, and passes her classes.  There are always multiple sides to the story and the truth falls somewhere in the middle.  My guess is your daughter told you a slightly different version than the actual one.  Either way, you need to parent and not be her friend.  Failing math because you think it's boring is an excuse and shouldn't be tolerated.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 17, 2017 at 2:15 PM
3 moms liked this
Agreed she also should have listened the first time and not started before instructed.

Quoting mjande4:

First, you need to not perpetuate her idea that "math is boring".  You need to reinforce that it is important that she works hard, gets in for extra help, and passes her classes.  There are always multiple sides to the story and the truth falls somewhere in the middle.  My guess is your daughter told you a slightly different version than the actual one.  Either way, you need to parent and not be her friend.  Failing math because you think it's boring is an excuse and shouldn't be tolerated.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 17, 2017 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell the teacher what’s up and how it’s going to be from now on.
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 2:19 PM

the teacher was wrong to yell.she simply could have said,'sally,we arent there yet.let me explain what to do',ive had yellers for teachers and they were the classes i failed..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 17, 2017 at 2:19 PM
Teach your kid to listen better next time
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 17, 2017 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I’d lose my shot on that teacher. 110% it’s be the last time she ever spoke to my child like that.
eztwins
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 2:24 PM
6 moms liked this
She’s in 9th grade you tell her sometimes you get asshole teachers and you learn to deal.

My kids have a tech teacher this year that yells about everything. She gave a kid ISS for getting up and throwing out a tissue ffs.

I’ve told them to just deal. Not everyone is nice and you make due. One day you might have an asshole co worker or boss your stuck dealing with too.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 17, 2017 at 2:25 PM
This.

Quoting mjande4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)