Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to get rid of guests overstaying their welcome

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:23 PM
  • 44 Replies

With Thanksgiving dinner around the corner, and many family members who don't get the hint, how do you keep control over how long your guests stay?  

I let people know in advance that Thanksgiving dinner will be from 2-7 pm.  I serve dessert at 5:30, so that we can relax by the fire for a bit before my guests have to drive home, and at ten to 7, I get up and get my guests' coats.  I also say as I hand them their coats, "It's been a lovely visit, we look forward to seeing you again.  Be careful driving home, call me when you get in."

Feel free to add your own method!, the funnier the better!

by on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Lololol. You hand them their coats. I love this.
MSMOUSE0519
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Good lort! Pushy much!!!

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:25 PM
Really? This is hilarious.

Quoting Melissa_4:

Feel free to add your own method!

I let people know in advance that Thanksgiving dinner will be from 2-7 pm.  I serve dessert at 5:30, so that we can relax by the fire for a bit before my guests have to drive home, and at ten to 7, I get up and get my guests' coats.  I also say as I hand them their coats, "It's been a lovely visit, we look forward to seeing you again.  Be careful driving home, call me when you get in."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:26 PM

THIS IS SILLY!!  overstaying your welcome by 5 minutes to a couple of hours means you and your guests are having a great time, I thought you meant like overnights or something, I don't want to come to your house if you and I are having a blast, then you get up and hand me my coat while we are talking or whatever.

Corieva
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:26 PM
4 moms liked this
Do you have to work the next day?
I thought this was going to be a post about the weekend visit that is now 6 months long.
cellomom26
by on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:28 PM
Haha, love your method.

We only have friends over, not relatives who would over stay their welcome. Usually after 3 hours, we start cleaning up, they help, and it's a natural time to say goodbye.
Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:29 PM

It depends, lol.  If it's my husband's family, they're very good at not over staying their welcome.  Friends are welcome to hang all night.  My family doesn't bother coming, so I don't have to deal with them (thankfully), but there have been times in the past people think they're settling in for the night, and that's just not happening. My husband will just disappear after dinner, and I'm stuck entertaining his family, which is normally enjoyable but can get painful as our politics don't line up.  The men wind up starting their political banter around the fireplace and that's when it's time to grab the coats.  ;)

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Really? This is hilarious.
Quoting Melissa_4:

Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:30 PM

Hubby does, and he's an introvert.  He can only tolerate company for a short period of time.  Most of our guests have to drive across the state, and don't like getting home late anyway because they're older.  

When my friends come over, they hang til the kids get tired.

Quoting Corieva: Do you have to work the next day? I thought this was going to be a post about the weekend visit that is now 6 months long.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:31 PM
2 moms liked this
It’s probably not nearly as amusing in person as it is in my head right now. I would love to watch you in action with the coats! Lol

Quoting Melissa_4:

It depends, lol.  If it's my husband's family, they're very good at not over staying their welcome.  Friends are welcome to hang all night.  My family doesn't bother coming, so I don't have to deal with them (thankfully), but there have been times in the past people think they're settling in for the night, and that's just not happening. My husband will just disappear after dinner, and I'm stuck entertaining his family, which is normally enjoyable but can get painful as our politics don't line up.  The men wind up starting their political banter around the fireplace and that's when it's time to grab the coats.  ;)

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Really? This is hilarious.

Quoting Melissa_4:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:31 PM
I’ve never had a problem with that. People know what the expectations are, and leave when it’s aappropriate. I’ve never been one to hustle people out the door.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)