Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you or your spouse work on a holiday...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies
Do you celebrate before or after with your extended family? For example my dh has to work on Christmas Eve and Day. So we are going to my parents house Christmas Eve eve (the Saturday before Christmas). He has to work every holiday except if it falls on a Saturday (he works six days a week in a greenhouse). The only nice thing is he gets paid double hours for the holidays - his hours he works and then an extra 8 hours or whatever he works for holiday pay. Comes in handy for Christmas shopping :)
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Nov. 17, 2017 at 3:59 PM
Bump for others
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pink.Sunshine: Bump for others
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 17, 2017 at 4:02 PM

The two years DH worked Christmas he just didn't come. We did Christmas Eve with his family, and then I did Christmas Day with mine. We didnt' have kids at the time.

Now, we both get all major holidays off. It is nice.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 17, 2017 at 4:02 PM
Our family lives in other states, so what we do is stay home with DH for either Thanksgiving or Christmas and we all go to visit family on the holiday he has off.

Like this year, we're having Thanksgiving with DH whichever day he's off and we're all going to Kentucky then Florida for Christmas.
caydensmommy8
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 4:06 PM
DH works 3rd shift (10pm-6am), so by the time Thanksgiving dinner is ready, hes up anyways. It just makes Christmas morning difficult because he is of course ready for bed when he gets home. Meanwhile, DS is up and too excited to wait for presents. When DH was on 2nd shift (2pm-10pm) during holidays, we would just celebrate the whole morning before he went to work.
Horticulturemom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 4:06 PM
I feel his pain....I manage a greenhouse and work 6 days a week also. We do get holidays off, but we're zoned agriculture so no overtime pay at all.😢
Geeez17
by Emerald Member on Nov. 17, 2017 at 4:09 PM
I have to work both Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. O get paid time and a half for holidays, yay. Thanksgiving we go to my Aunts, missing the appetizers😳. And Christmas Eve we do the same and make it in time for everything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 17, 2017 at 4:13 PM
My family lives 10 hours away and some years, we go there for one of the holidays. My husband works at the power company so his schedule is all over the place and sometimes he works holidays. His family doesn't get it and doesn't even try to make adjustments so he can be there but they sure do like to bitch about it. He had to work Christmas Eve 5pm to 5am last year and Christmas Eve is when his family celebrates. Me and the kids went to his sister's house on Christmas Eve last year and it was miserable. I'll never do that again. He's off for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. In the past when he's had to work on the holiday, we just do our own thing the next day or the day before.
left.drowning
by Fix Me on Nov. 17, 2017 at 4:18 PM
I work all holidays.

We spend no time with extended family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 17, 2017 at 4:37 PM
Yeah it sucks but he gets paid well and he only works 1.4 miles from home so there's that.

Quoting Horticulturemom: I feel his pain....I manage a greenhouse and work 6 days a week also. We do get holidays off, but we're zoned agriculture so no overtime pay at all.😢
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)