Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My kids are refusing to go to MILs house this year for Thanksgiving

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies

Because of how she has been treating me. I have celiac disease, it is pretty new and I am still adjusting. I didnt used to have as many problems but over the last year it has gotten worse and worse and now I know why

DH asked her what she was making so I would know what I can and can not eat. She said she would not release the menu. My plan was to get get a one portion meal from a local restaurant and eat it myself. She said I would NOT be bringing food to her house. That she was the one cooking and I was going to come and enjoy her food or not come at all. 

I wasnt sure what to do. I was thinking about just eating first and then not making it an issue. But MIL is making it an issue herself. She has been saying really rude things about me and too me. She told my kids that I need to stop being such a needy drama queen and that I just wanted the attention. When I told her to stop talking rudly about me she told me to stop being a "stupid bitch"

I decided I wasnt going to go. DH is staying home with me. We told the kids that they could still go and have fun because we dont want them to miss out. They said they would think about it

Well apparently they decided not to go. We found out when MIL called DH and was full on screaming at him. DS called her and said that DD and him would not be attending. That they would rather spend the holiday with me instead of someone who could be so hateful. 

When MIL called we didnt even know all of this. DH hung up on her after she kept screaming.  I told him I felt bad because of all of this and he told me not to feel bad. None of it was my fault and I realized he is right. I did nothing wrong. I was willing to even eat before to keep the peace and she still said horrible things about me. The kids say they are disgusted by how she is acting. It is sad that they have to see their grandmother like that. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 18, 2017 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 18, 2017 at 12:58 PM
I don't see what the big deal is about bringing your own food for yourself over there to eat.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 18, 2017 at 12:58 PM
First, it’s Thanksgiving no gluten Turkey is a given, why you felt the need to announce bringing your own food escapes me. Just do it. Second if my MIL said she would not allow me to bring my own food, then my family would simply skip the whole day, together!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2017 at 1:00 PM

She cooks it with stuffing so it isnt gluten free. She wouldnt have let me in the door with food supposedly. SHe says no one will bring food into her house because SHE is cooking. I guess one year someone tried to bring a pie and she threw it out. If I had known that I wouldnt have even brought it up as an option but DH didnt tell me until after I had already talked to her 

I wanted my kids to have the opportunity to go if they wanted to but they dont want to 

Quoting Dzyre1115: First, it’s Thanksgiving no gluten Turkey is a given, why you felt the need to announce bringing your own food escapes me. Just do it. Second if my MIL said she would not allow me to bring my own food, then my family would simply skip the whole day, together!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2017 at 1:00 PM

I didnt think it would be a big deal either but to her I guess it is the end of the world 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I don't see what the big deal is about bringing your own food for yourself over there to eat.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 18, 2017 at 1:03 PM
Then never go there again if it’s so deadly for you! Very simple solution!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

She cooks it with stuffing so it isnt gluten free. She wouldnt have let me in the door with food supposedly. SHe says no one will bring food into her house because SHE is cooking. I guess one year someone tried to bring a pie and she threw it out. If I had known that I wouldnt have even brought it up as an option but DH didnt tell me until after I had already talked to her 

I wanted my kids to have the opportunity to go if they wanted to but they dont want to 

Quoting Dzyre1115: First, it’s Thanksgiving no gluten Turkey is a given, why you felt the need to announce bringing your own food escapes me. Just do it. Second if my MIL said she would not allow me to bring my own food, then my family would simply skip the whole day, together!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 18, 2017 at 1:06 PM
I haved never met anyoe who couldnt find something to eat even with celiac disease.

I think you're trying to be difficult. Just go and eat what you can. Turkey and veggies...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 18, 2017 at 1:07 PM

I am sure I could have found something I could eat but she wouldnt even say what she was making or what ingredients she was going to be using. I cant risk eating something if I dont know what is in it. 

The turkey is not safe to eat (she cooks it with the stuffing in it) and I couldnt trust that the veggies would be safe if she wouldnt even say what was in them 

Quoting Anonymous 3: I haved never met anyoe who couldnt find something to eat even with celiac disease. I think you're trying to be difficult. Just go and eat what you can. Turkey and veggies...

SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Nov. 18, 2017 at 1:08 PM
It seems like the whole family lost their backbone to give her the idea that it's ok to be a cunt.
I would have told her to fuck off when she first started her shit.
bubbs0809
by Emerald Member on Nov. 18, 2017 at 1:09 PM
I’m sorry she can’t be more accommodating
These stories make me thankful that I decided to skip the Thanksgiving holiday
Months ago
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 18, 2017 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this
You couldn't trust az green bean.

Omg...you're a bit much

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I am sure I could have found something I could eat but she wouldnt even say what she was making or what ingredients she was going to be using. I cant risk eating something if I dont know what is in it. 

The turkey is not safe to eat (she cooks it with the stuffing in it) and I couldnt trust that the veggies would be safe if she wouldnt even say what was in them 

Quoting Anonymous 3: I haved never met anyoe who couldnt find something to eat even with celiac disease.

I think you're trying to be difficult. Just go and eat what you can. Turkey and veggies...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)