Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No show to her party

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies

DD 5, got invited to a class friends party, we RSVP yes about 2-3 weeks ago.

Well yesterday DD started throwing up and 4am this morning woke up with a fever. We took her to he Dr, she swabbed her for the flu (results wont be in for a few hours), they gave her Motrin an a note to stay home tomorrow.

I text the birthday girl's mom apologizing for not being able to make it due to dd being sick. I didnt go into detail. Her response was... REALLY?!?!

I didn't say anything else. Would you have been upset if you were the birthday girls mom? or would you have understood?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:33 PM
3 moms liked this
I would have said something like oh that's to bad. My child will miss her. Hope she is feeling better soon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:36 PM
I always think the worst so I'd probably wonder if it's just an excuse but I never would have responded like that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:36 PM

Quoting lucky2Beeme: I would have said something like oh that's to bad. My child will miss her. Hope she is feeling better soon.

I would have thought that to be a normal response!!.

DD is new to the school and already having a hard time adjusting. I feel awful for one of the moms to be upset but there is no why dd could have made it or that I could have known she would get sick 

.MiaBella.
by Mia on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:40 PM

No.. I would understand.

SilverSally
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:43 PM

As someone who got texts saying roughly half the kids invited to my DD's birthday party were sick the morning of or night before, she likely doesn't believe you. Hopefully your DD feels better soon (it is never nice to be sick, poor darling), but I feel for the other mother too. You're likely not the first to text her that your DD is now not coming, and her DD/DS is going to feel sad with each person that doesn't show. I'd maybe text her back and explain a bit more. That can only help. Maybe take a pic of the doctor's note (visual aids are almost always helpful) and say, "Yes, unfortunately DD really isn't well and we are still waiting on results at this time. I know DD is sad, she's been looking forward to tomorrow. Hopefully (classmate's name) has a wonderful party." 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:44 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2: I always think the worst so I'd probably wonder if it's just an excuse but I never would have responded like that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:45 PM

I would have said my child is sick and can't go and would have offered to drop off a gift.

If I were the parent of the birthday child I would have said, "sorry to hear".

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:46 PM
I get being frustrated, planning a party is a pain in the ass, more so when there are a bunch of cancellations, which really just break your kids heart. We just had a party invited 10 classmates, not a single one showed up. It's a poorer area so I guess they didn't want to come since they couldn't afford a gift, dd really just wanted her friends there, not gifts.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have put in the detail she is throwing up, possibly has the flu and doesn't want to get the other kids sick,

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:47 PM
I would have understood.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)