Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babysitting rates

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:51 PM
  • 93 Replies
Good evening everyone!!

I've been babysitting a little boy since May of 2015. He is now 22 months old. I have always charged his parents $30/day or $150/week; extra if he stays late or spends the night.

I need/want to raise his rates bc it's been almost two years without a price increase and to me watching a two year old is much harder than an infant.

What is a fair increase in price? He arrives at 5:30am and is picked up at 5pm, five days a week. In the late winter and early spring he usually comes earlier and stays later.

Let me add that I'm listed with the state, will never care for more than 2 kids at a time, am CPR certified and am a retired newborn nursery RN.
by on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FreyaM
by on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:54 PM
I’m not sure. In my area the going rate is 25-30/day for toddlers. It’s more expensive for infants.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Go up $10 per day. That's ridiculously low for 11.5 hours a day, in my area.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:58 PM
I wouldn't pay more than $150 a week for in home care.
hobobaby
by 🌺NonnieTumTum🌺 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 5:59 PM
Even in a home daycare? Bc they charge more for infants at a daycare center (commercial ) bc they have lower ratios (Infants to workers) than toddlers. Since it's just me, him and another 4 month old baby he's definitely harder work since infants just eat, sleep, change diapers and sit in swings, play on the floor, etc. The toddler is all over the place and I have to keep him occupied, make meals and snacks, potty train, teaching, etc.

Quoting FreyaM: I’m not sure. In my area the going rate is 25-30/day for toddlers. It’s more expensive for infants.
hobobaby
by 🌺NonnieTumTum🌺 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what I think but then I get answers like the one below youbsaying she wouldn't pay more than $150/week. But, there's not many daycares that accept kids at 5:30m and sometimes earlier, sometimes later.

Quoting lucky2Beeme: Go up $10 per day. That's ridiculously low for 11.5 hours a day, in my area.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 6:03 PM
Are you licensed? Are you CPR certified? Are you providing food, or are they?

hobobaby
by 🌺NonnieTumTum🌺 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 6:03 PM
He gets here at 5:30am and leaves at 5pm. In the winter and spring he's here around 4:15-4:30 until 6- who knows. She works her tail off in the late winter and spring. (Sorry, I meant to say late winter in my post)

Quoting Anonymous 1: I wouldn't pay more than $150 a week for in home care.
hobobaby
by 🌺NonnieTumTum🌺 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 6:05 PM
I'm what's called listed. Since I only have 3 or less kids that's what's required by the state but I am recognized by the state. Yes, I am CPR certified. I'm a retired newborn nursery RN. His mom brings food but it's never enough for the entire week so I probably provide at least half if not more of it.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Are you licensed? Are you CPR certified? Are you providing food, or are they?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 6:08 PM
You definitely need to ask for more! For you, I would pay $10/h.

Quoting hobobaby: I'm what's called listed. Since I only have 3 or less kids that's what's required by the state but I am recognized by the state. Yes, I am CPR certified. I'm a retired newborn nursery RN. His mom brings food but it's never enough for the entire week so I probably provide at least half if not more of it.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Are you licensed? Are you CPR certified? Are you providing food, or are they?

hobobaby
by 🌺NonnieTumTum🌺 on Nov. 19, 2017 at 6:09 PM
Really? Do you need a babysitter?? Lol

That would be almost $120 a day! Almost what she pays in a week.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You definitely need to ask for more! For you, I would pay $10/h.
Quoting hobobaby: I'm what's called listed. Since I only have 3 or less kids that's what's required by the state but I am recognized by the state. Yes, I am CPR certified. I'm a retired newborn nursery RN. His mom brings food but it's never enough for the entire week so I probably provide at least half if not more of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)