Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dad is dating another woman after only a few months...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 82 Replies
My mom passed away to terminal breast cancer about 5 months ago. We had our Thanksgiving early yesterday at my uncle and aunt's house (due to my dad, my uncle, and I have to work on Thanksgiving) and my dad told my siblings and I to meet "Barbara" his new girlfriend and my mom and my dad been together for 43 years before she passed away and got married for 39 years and few months would been their 40th anniversary next month they got married on Christmas Eve when they we're both 18. I don't know what to say and I feel like it's too soon for my dad and my 7 year old son said something like "eh don't know if I want her to be my new grandma, I want my nanny back" he calls my mom "nanny" he had the same reaction. If something happened to my husband I don't know what to do and I wouldn't date anyone too soon afterwards and my husband is the same way. Should I give his new girlfriend a chance?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 20, 2017 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 20, 2017 at 1:20 PM
6 moms liked this

Give me one reason why you won’t give her a chance that has anything to do with HER.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 20, 2017 at 1:21 PM

Yes.  You can't judge on how much time is right or wrong for him.  It's his choice to make.  Though I certainly see why you are upset.  Sorry about your Mom.

Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Nov. 20, 2017 at 1:21 PM

I'm sorry for your family's loss.  Do you have the type of relationshp with your dad that you could talk to him about not bringing a stranger to what is already going to be a painful holiday, but that you would be willing to meet his new girlfriend in the near future?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 20, 2017 at 1:22 PM

Its hard.  My dad and mon were married for 60 years (almost 61) when my mom died 2 years ago last week.  He has a "friend" now.  Its companionship--they live in the same retirement center and eat meals together, etc.  I told my dad that I wanted him to be happy, especially since mom was sick for so long.  I just didn't want a new mom.  (I said it jokingly...he's 89 and the kids are all 50+). 

Tracylynn100
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2017 at 1:22 PM
2 moms liked this

My dad was seeing someone three months after my step-mom passed.  It was really quick but some people just don't like to be alone.  She will never replace your mother, can't hurt to try to be friendly.

Ms_Smock
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2017 at 1:23 PM
As long as she is not trying to be your mom I don't see a problem
mommy2boys03
by Gold Member on Nov. 20, 2017 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
You don't know what your mother might of told your father. She might of told him to find a companion knowing he would not do well on his own. Many whose spouses die that have been together that long do not live long after the one spouse passes. It doesn't mean he didn't love you mom, just might be honoring her dying wish.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 20, 2017 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Is she 20, dresses like a hooker, has train tracks on her arms, using dad for his millions? If not, you should get to know her. Your dad is used to having a partner. Don't ruin his happiness. He's able to mourn his wife and try to keep living at the same time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 20, 2017 at 1:25 PM
Some men who were in wonderful marriages will date rather soon after their wife dies. They want the to be part of a couple.

Only he knows what to feel in this situation. You have your feelings but they are not the same as his. You lost a mom he lost his wife.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 20, 2017 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

He's lonely and needs some distraction, cut him some slack, he is still hurting. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)