Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Turkey thaw question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
I didn't take my little 13lbs turkey out to thaw until just now.

I live in the mid Atlantic so it is rather chilly. Would my turkey be okay if I put it in a bucket if water on the porch to thaw tomorrow. I'm going to try brine it.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2017 at 12:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2017 at 12:55 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2017 at 1:00 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2017 at 1:03 AM
Thank you but it is too late for that and I won't be home on Wednesday to rotate the water every thirty minutes.

That is why I am asking if I can leave it in the back porch.

Quoting Sassy762:

http://www.butterball.com/how-tos/thaw-a-turkey

WickedOpal
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 1:08 AM

I asked DH about it, because he usually does the brine stuff around here.  He says, it's not really safe to attempt it.  It takes a day to brine, so it would have to be completely thawed by tomorrow.  The only way to do that, is to microwave and you will end up some some dry meat.  Sorry, but there's not enough time left now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2017 at 1:09 AM
The recipe says it needs to bro be for eight hours. It has to be thawed by Wednesday night.

Quoting WickedOpal:

I asked DH about it, because he usually does the brine stuff around here.  He says, it's not really safe to attempt it.  It takes a day to brine, so it would have to be completely thawed by tomorrow.  The only way to do that, is to microwave and you will end up some some dry meat.  Sorry, but there's not enough time left now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 21, 2017 at 1:10 AM
No, that’s not safe. Just let it thaw for the next 36 hours and then dry brine it overnight while it finishes. Dry brining is easier and gives you a better result anyway!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2017 at 1:11 AM
It is cold here. I don't see why it isn't safe.

Quoting Anonymous 2: No, that’s not safe. Just let it thaw for the next 36 hours and then dry brine it overnight while it finishes. Dry brining is easier and gives you a better result anyway!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2017 at 1:12 AM
I do get off early on Wednesday. We will be home by 230 pm. I can finish the thawing up then with the cold water
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 21, 2017 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Then have fun with salmonella!

Why bothering asking a question if you aren’t going to listen to people who clearly know more than you about something?

Quoting Anonymous 1: It is cold here. I don't see why it isn't safe.

Quoting Anonymous 2: No, that’s not safe. Just let it thaw for the next 36 hours and then dry brine it overnight while it finishes. Dry brining is easier and gives you a better result anyway!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)