Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

non traditional christmas eve

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 76 Replies

This will be the first Christmas Eve I will be spending with my SO and his extended family, and it is not what I am used to. 

I will of course make food that I will eat, because of what I grew up with, but it will be so odd.  We have been together for 2 years and this past April we introduced our kids and families to each other.

I grew up with the traditional 7 fishes, no meat, and pasta on Christmas Eve.  His family eats meat on Christmas Eve and Shrimp Cocktail is the extent of the fish, and no pasta.  I plan on making at least 2 fish dishes and pasta, but he told me not to make much since his family probably wont eat it.  There will be 17 people.  I want to make at least enough for everyone, but he is telling me not to, it will only go to waste.

I want to make a fish gravy, clams, muscles, shrimp, scallops Fra Diavolo over linguine, and maybe flounder (Baccala is out of the question since I will probably be the only one eating it) and a seafood salad (shrimp, squid, scallops) oh and stuffed artichokes.

Question is, do I make enough for everyone or just for half?  Even if I said lets have it at my house, he would be cooking meats.

Ugh

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 21, 2017 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:01 PM
I’d make half. I wish I was going. I’d eat it all, lol. The only seafood we have at my family’s holidays is shrimp cocktail and bagna cauda which I’m not even sure is considered sea food.
stepperbepper
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd make enough for about 8 ppl...that way if they wanted to taste it they can just take a small helping
SweetPea2004
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:04 PM
Half if not even less
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:04 PM

Half.  I would never eat those fish dishes you mentioned. Neither would my dh and kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:07 PM

i love anchovies.  LoL

Quoting Anonymous 2: I’d make half. I wish I was going. I’d eat it all, lol. The only seafood we have at my family’s holidays is shrimp cocktail and bagna cauda which I’m not even sure is considered sea food.

mommylife34
by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:08 PM
You don't do what people don't want. You've been told no so don't force your past on others. Make one dish and that's it if you NEED to

Quoting Anonymous 1:

This will be the first Christmas Eve I will be spending with my SO and his extended family, and it is not what I am used to. 

I will of course make food that I will eat, because of what I grew up with, but it will be so odd.  We have been together for 2 years and this past April we introduced our kids and families to each other.

I grew up with the traditional 7 fishes, no meat, and pasta on Christmas Eve.  His family eats meat on Christmas Eve and Shrimp Cocktail is the extent of the fish, and no pasta.  I plan on making at least 2 fish dishes and pasta, but he told me not to make much since his family probably wont eat it.  There will be 17 people.  I want to make at least enough for everyone, but he is telling me not to, it will only go to waste.

I want to make a fish gravy, clams, muscles, shrimp, scallops Fra Diavolo over linguine, and maybe flounder (Baccala is out of the question since I will probably be the only one eating it) and a seafood salad (shrimp, squid, scallops) oh and stuffed artichokes.

Question is, do I make enough for everyone or just for half?  Even if I said lets have it at my house, he would be cooking meats.

Ugh

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:08 PM
3 moms liked this

You refer to the 7 fishes, no meat, pasta meal as if that's the traditional meal for all,or at least most people.  You refer to it as THE traditional meal. But that's really not the case for the majority of Americans. It's a thing for Italian families, but not so much for non-Italian families.  It's definitely not a traditional meal in the "turkey for Thanksgiving" sense of the word.  

As others have said, you're visiting them.  You need to be receptive to THEIR traditions.  Don't try to force your traditions on them.  Think how your family would feel if your SO walked into your families 7 fishes meal, and tried to change it all to his traditions.

mommylife34
by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:09 PM
If you need to I would make clams seafood salad and artichokes

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Ugh

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:11 PM

It is the traditional meal for me, and what I have grown up with, so it is traditionl

Quoting Anonymous 3:

You refer to the 7 fishes, no meat, pasta meal as if that's the traditional meal for all,or at least most people.  You refer to it as THE traditional meal. But that's really not the case for the majority of Americans. It's a thing for Italian families, but not so much for non-Italian families.  It's definitely not a traditional meal in the "turkey for Thanksgiving" sense of the word.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 21, 2017 at 8:20 PM
4 moms liked this

And if having that meal means so much to you, go have it with your family.  But if you go to visit your SO's family, then you need to be respectful and receptive to THEIR traditions.  Don't try to force your traditions on them.  

Think how your family would feel if your SO walked into your family's Feast of the 7 fishes meal, and tried to change it all to prime rib and shrimp cocktail.  That's just not something you do.  Their traditions mean just as much to them as yours do to you.  Either do "your thing" with your family, or go do "his thing" with his family.  

Quoting Anonymous 1:

It is the traditional meal for me, and what I have grown up with, so it is traditionl

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)