Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boys and Their Balls...

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:14 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 15 year old wants a basketball goal this year. He's really starting to get into basketball. First it was soccer, then baseball, then football (I blame my boyfriend and his stepbrother for that), not to mention the trumpet (that one was my fault), which is the only reason he didn't join football because he couldn't do FB and the marching band. What is it with boys and sports? Why can't he just pick one? 

Before anyone gets riled up, I will most likely be buying him a basketball hoop and a basket ball, unless I just can't find one that is affordable or something. It's just tough to keep track of what sport he's most into nowadays. 

by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:15 AM

Oh, and fishing. Is that considered a sport even though no balls are involved?

squeekers
by squeekers on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:17 AM
DDs high school had a WR football player and a saxophonist all in one good kid.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:18 AM

My kids did/do loads of sports.  They have their favorites and ones that they excel at but one sport isn't year round.  So my 11yr old does baseball (spring), fall football which really starts in July and then he is now trying to find a sport for winter to keep him active.     

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:24 AM
Im lucky so far ds has done karate for 3 years and recently just added gymnastics to the mix. Hes doing both though and his goal is that his gymnastics will make him better at karate and he can mix the two.
merrysgirls
by Lame on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:25 AM
I’ve never heard it called a basketball goal.
ThatDancerGirl
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:26 AM
I only have a girl, but even at 2 she’s already showing an interest in sports like her dad 🤦🏻‍♀️ So, it’s not just boys
balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:26 AM

My older kids tried a variety of sports - tennis, basketball, volleyball, baseball before deciding that they were better mathletes than athletes. They play ultimate frisbee at college now. My youngest is a competitive 2 weapon fencer. He lives for it. He’ll play other sports at recess at school but it’s all fencing all of the time. 

JustKeepsmoving
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds normal!

Check your local FB sale pages. People often give them away or sell them cheap. Or try Craigslist.
ShaMac
by Emerald Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:30 AM
Lmao @ basketball goal...

I think it's pretty normal and good for them to try different things. My dd found the thing she loves a couple of years ago but still has some stuff she likes. She went through a lot of liikes and indifferent and dislikes before getting to the love though.

Maybe since it works out with band he will like basketball better than football. I'd push basketball since the uniform is cheaper and he is less likely to get a serious injury. I wish dd's sport was safer and cheaper.
RocknRoll.Rose
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 4:30 AM

It's ok that he does multiple activities but they are expensive and it is hard to afford equipment for multiple sports, especially for ones you have to pay for them to participate. 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

My kids did/do loads of sports.  They have their favorites and ones that they excel at but one sport isn't year round.  So my 11yr old does baseball (spring), fall football which really starts in July and then he is now trying to find a sport for winter to keep him active.     

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)