Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Turkey help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
Is it safe to fridge a WHOLE cooked turkey for 8 hours and then warm it back up in the oven for the next day?

I made a turkey, but I need it to be ready at about 10am tomorrow morning.

Will doing the above stated dry it out?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2017 at 1:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 1:23 AM
Yes it will
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 1:25 AM
Yikes. Yeah, I think you’re going to have a super dry turkey if you do that. Why cook it so early?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 1:26 AM
You can do it but make sure you keep the broth from baking the turkey. You can baste the turkey with this juice to keep it from drying out
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2017 at 1:27 AM
Yeah, I’ve been basting non stop. My husband said to just turn off the oven, cover it with foil, leave it, and then reheat in the AM - but that can’t be safe.

Quoting Anonymous 3: You can do it but make sure you keep the broth from baking the turkey. You can baste the turkey with this juice to keep it from drying out
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2017 at 1:27 AM
Because I am not smart.

Quoting smorgan865: Yikes. Yeah, I think you’re going to have a super dry turkey if you do that. Why cook it so early?
white_wolf454
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 1:29 AM

yes, it will. A whole turkey is safe when cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 °F as measured with a food thermometer. Check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 22, 2017 at 1:30 AM
It’s 165 , it’s been done for about 30 mins. I just don’t know what to do with it now

Quoting white_wolf454:

yes, it will. A whole turkey is safe when cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 °F as measured with a food thermometer. Check the internal temperature in the innermost part of the thigh and wing and the thickest part of the breast.

Kiwismommy19
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 1:30 AM
Several layers of plastic wrap may keep it from drying. You don't want to leave it out. It will spend too much time in the food safety danger zone which could give food poisoning to your guests.
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 1:34 AM
You’d probably be better off carving it now, putting all the pieces into the broth overnight and warming those up tomorrow.

I know it kind of ruins the picturesque turkey on the table, but all the juices will drain out overnight and even with basting won’t rehydrate very well.

Quoting smorgan865: Yikes. Yeah, I think you’re going to have a super dry turkey if you do that. Why cook it so early?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 1:36 AM
Let it cool down. Put plastic wrap over the turkey then cover with foil and place in the fridge.
In the morning take the plastic wrap and foil off then reheat. You can baste it with the dripping or add a can or two of chicken broth if there isnt a lot of drippings left.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yeah, I’ve been basting non stop. My husband said to just turn off the oven, cover it with foil, leave it, and then reheat in the AM - but that can’t be safe.

Quoting Anonymous 3: You can do it but make sure you keep the broth from baking the turkey. You can baste the turkey with this juice to keep it from drying out
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)