Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reality, which comes first?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 10:40 AM
  • 8 Replies
What comes first? Getting the job or finding the childcare?

I called to look into childcare while waiting for jobs to (fingers crossed) call me back. I found out that the wait list is over a year out for the one near me. I don't drive so was hoping for a closer proximity to home. Another nearby is over the budget. I was told to get the job first so I know how much money I can shell out, but if I got the job, who would watch my child in the meantime? Oy. Feels like a chicken or egg dilemma to me.

What makes sense? Job first or childcare?
by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 10:42 AM
Well I had a career long before children, so I would say the job came first. However you typucally can't job hunt and commit to a job unless you know you'll have someone to watch your child and you typically can't pay for childcare without a job. I see the delimma you're facing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 10:48 AM
I secured my child care when I started job hunting. I just told her she wouldn’t start until I started work.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 10:52 AM
Depends on your area.
Childcare here is expensive and hard to find.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 10:57 AM
Know your options for childcare, and if there are wait lists get on those.
You can't pay for childcare without a job. Knowing the budget is irrelevant, most childcare facilities in the same area will cost the same.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:04 AM

Tough.  Seems like you can’t have one without the other.  It really sucks in your situation because when you get a job there may not be spots.  I guess you have to take the chance and get the job first.  Not all jobs will wait for you to get childcare though.  Is there someone you could pay as a temporary back up if things fall through at the daycare?   I would not want to be in your shoes because I would want childcare first.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:50 AM

I did both at once. It was stressful but necessary. 

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:55 AM

And there it is, the best question I’ve ever read in this group.

sweetfox3
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:22 PM
The other issue is that the daycare center will want payment up front once a spot is available. Most won't hold a spot unless the parents are paying (often for full tuition).

This is a huge catch-22 for SAHM/D trying to return to work. Need daycare to work and need pay from job to pay daycare.

I got the job first but pulled money from the savings account to pay the first tuition bill.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)