Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Will you leave money to your grand children?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 267 Replies
My grandma always told me she was leaving me some money when she passed. I didn’t expect much or feel entitled to money but it was nice my grandma wanted to give me a little something extra after she passed. We were very close my entire life.

When she passed, I finally saw her will and she didn’t leave money to me or any other grandchildren. She gave all the money to her children with the idea that they would give or spend it on their children.

My other aunts and uncles left some money for their children. My dad? He went to Hawaii, bought a new truck, and went out to the bar every night for a year.

I never saw the money. I know it technically wasn’t mine but every other grandkid got a gift or the money after she passed except for me. My dad spent it all.

I can never shake the feeling that I was robbed of a gift from my grandmother.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:23 AM

I never got anything from my Grandparents and they are all dead. I never got anything from my dad who passed and my Mom's taking everything to the grave.  I have no grandkids yet but hopefully I will be able to leave them something.

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this

*leaves post

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:27 AM

Yes, of course. If I have any. I will be smart with my inheritance and hopefully leave it to them. Whoever drafted her will should have done a better job or explained things to her better. 

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
No, all of our assets are willed to our daughter for the care of our youngest son....in the event we die before she turns eighteen, it’s left in trust to our oldest son for the care of our daughter and youngest son.
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:30 AM
No, I’m not leaving money to my grandkids. They have small trust accounts that I will give them as they each turn 18 but I’m hoping I’ll still be alive. 😳
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:33 AM

So 2 of your children get nothing and your youngest gets everything?

Quoting Dzyre1115: No, all of our assets are willed to our daughter for the care of our youngest son....in the event we die before she turns eighteen, it’s left in trust to our oldest son for the care of our daughter and youngest son.

Traci_Momof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

That must suck.  Honestly, Grandma should never have said anything unless it was already in her will specifically to you.  But I'm guessing what sucks more for you is having a selfish alcoholic for a dad.

To answer your question, I do not intend to leave anything for my Grandchildren (if I end up having any).  As it is, my kids will be lucky to get anything.  They'll get the house, and maybe a very small amount of money, and that will be it.  It will be up to the two kids to decide what to do with the house.  And I will not make promises to my Grandkids that I can't guarantee to keep.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:35 AM
I got a hand made quilt from my grandmother. My dad's mom died before I was born. So nothing there. I don't plan on leaving money for anyone. I am going to donate it to some kind of charity. Not sure which one.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:37 AM
No, my daughter gets everything provided she cares for her brother. I gave my oldest son a house as a wedding gift, he has received all that he is going to. If my daughter chooses to not care for her brother then all assets will be liquidated for my youngest son’s care.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

So 2 of your children get nothing and your youngest gets everything?

Quoting Dzyre1115: No, all of our assets are willed to our daughter for the care of our youngest son....in the event we die before she turns eighteen, it’s left in trust to our oldest son for the care of our daughter and youngest son.

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:39 AM

I won't have grandchildren.

DD13 is severe SN and we are discussing having her sterilized because she will not be able to handle pregnancy.

My grandparents never left us money-instead we were happy with the memories and mementos left for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)