Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents who feed their kids "ethnic" food

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 7:57 PM
  • 31 Replies
My parents are both immigrants, France and Japan. Growing up my dad usually did the cooking, usually Japanese food he grew up with. So that's what I cook, it's what I know how to cook and it's what my family enjoys. But, I remember the insanely embarrassing moments at school where kids told me the food my dad worked hard to make looked disgusting, that I was eating barf, etc. I remember wanting to beg my dad to just let me bring lunchables and turkey sandwiches, instead of the food I loved.
Now I make my kids the foods I grew up with, that they love, but I'm worried about them going through the same thing. They definately have their share of sandwiches and pizza days, but usually I make them what is familiar to us. I don't feel right giving up giving my kids those foods just because some kid hasn't learned yet that it's rude to say things about others food. How do you handle it if you cook "ethnic" food for your kids? How do you teach them to respond? I did get them a kids book about it. Any other ideas?
by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 8:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Ask the school if they ever do cultural awareness stuff.  Like ethnic food days, or something.

If not ask them if they would be willing to.  It could tie in with a lot of different subjects.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Nov. 22, 2017 at 8:01 PM
It was never an issue for them, at least not enough of an issue for them to ever mention...
12345abcde54321
by Ruby Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 8:02 PM
My kids don't care what the others say. If they did I'd ask them what they'd like to bring instead. But it couldn't be total garbage..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 8:02 PM
I'd cook whatever your normal food is. If they say they want other stuff, find out if it's because of other kids being jerks or what. Their peers might not be as big of jerks as the ones you grew up with
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 22, 2017 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Nov. 22, 2017 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I ate “American food” for lunch. You know what I got the most grief about? Tuna salad. Kids are assholes anyways.
Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Nov. 22, 2017 at 8:05 PM
2 moms liked this
😂

Quoting Danesmommy1:

Mobile Photo

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 8:05 PM
They have a book about it?
stepperbepper
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
This. My district has "character education " every morning to help the kids be more sensitive to other kids differences. Maybe ask if you can. Me in and let his classmates taste some of this ethnic food

Quoting Saphira1207:

Ask the school if they ever do cultural awareness stuff.  Like ethnic food days, or something.

If not ask them if they would be willing to.  It could tie in with a lot of different subjects.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Nov. 22, 2017 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

FFS the writing style, content, topics, long winded posts are the exact same.  I guess we are just supposed to pretend it's not her lol.

Quoting Danesmommy1:

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)