Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really such a big deal to buy your own turkey?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:15 PM
  • 96 Replies
Thanksgiving is the same time of year every year is it really hard to plan a few extra bucks for a turkey? I added a turkey and spiral ham to my weekly shopping without noticing a difference to my grocery bill I had a few sides already as fresh veggies and stuffing are staples in our home. My turkey was organic and I didn't think it was expensive. I wouldn't want anyone giving me a turkey honestly because I like to select my own food.
by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:16 PM
5 moms liked this
Probably for people with a low income. I don't criticize or look down on people who don't have food security. That's just petty and cruel.
Mom2Phoenix2011
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:18 PM
No, I am quite capable of purcjasing my own. I also prefer to pick mine. Especially since I need a large bird.
merrysgirls
by Lame on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Who cares? You do you.
Tunabucket
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:19 PM
Huh? So what did you cut out that your grocery bill was the same? Also people who struggle to pay bills can't magically save money for a turkey, and if they do have extra, it is probably going for gifts or emergency fund.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:19 PM
It was hard when we were low income, an extra 25 for a turkey and 25 for a ham and bam youre out 50 bucks. We've had a couple free ones in the past and it helped quite alot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:20 PM

pound for pound, turkey is pretty cheap. no one with half a brain couldn't budget for it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:20 PM
I don’t buy turkey because no one in my house eats it. But I totally agree. 1 turkey can easily be 3-4 meals so long term you probably save money.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:20 PM
4 moms liked this
Wow. Pat on the back for you! Pretty out of touch with the poor and the struggle of the low income huh?

There are people living on the streets. So
Yes for whatever reason, I'm sure it's hard for people to come up with $20-$30 for a turkey if they are broke, pinching pennies, or worried about keeping the electric on.

But you probably already buy everything organic so obviously you aren't on a
strict grocery budget 😑
Vee606.
by on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:20 PM
Same here. Although this year I snoozed and didn’t catch the .37lb special. There were none left.

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011: No, I am quite capable of purcjasing my own. I also prefer to pick mine. Especially since I need a large bird.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I can buy my own turkey, and I do after Thanksgiving we cook the one my husbands company gives us. I don’t turn down free food, why would I?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)