Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nope. Not Doing It...not censoring myself in MY home

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 162 Replies
3 moms liked this
Long story short
A very, very close family friend died

She was only 34.

One of my family members was asked to help with arrangements but she needed a babysitter. I kept her two daughters from Saturday until yesterday. When they got back they told their mom they were confused because I said "I don't believe when you die you become an Angel" mind you, I did say it but I was talking to MY children about OUR beliefs. When I noticed they were listening I emphasized everyone believes differently. Now their mom is calling me telling me I took away the only thing they had to hold on to and I should have kept my beliefs to myself.

Um no buddy I'm not going to stop speaking to MY kids about OUR beliefs in MY HOME. It's not like this is news to you. You knew my beliefs before they came!

Vent over.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:17 AM
2 moms liked this
She can get over it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:19 AM
Quoting ReedusStalker: She can get over it.

According to her I will never see them again
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:23 AM
17 moms liked this
Yeah you were a jerk. This is something that brings her kids comfort. You should have been more discreet when talking to your kids about it. Or hell saved the talk for after the other kids left. That's really insensitive of you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:23 AM
10 moms liked this

Yeah, she'll live.  

Even if she's religious (Christian), the notion that you "become an angel" isn't Biblically accurate, so I'm not sure what she's basing that on.  Going to Heaven, yes.  Being in the presence of Jesus and the Angels, yes.  Actually becoming an Angel, no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:25 AM
3 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous 2: Yeah you were a jerk. This is something that brings her kids comfort. You should have been more discreet when talking to your kids about it. Or hell saved the talk for after the other kids left. That's really insensitive of you.

Yeah well my kids loved her too so no I am not going to disregard their grief
SlightlyPerfect
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
She's hurting right now. Give her some space and just be there for her, especially when she comes to apologize. She will feel even more vulnerable and will need your support.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting SlightlyPerfect: She's hurting right now. Give her some space and just be there for her, especially when she comes to apologize. She will feel even more vulnerable and will need your support.

I am hurting just as badly
2blessed2bitch
by Gold Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Kids gotta learn people believe differently.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:33 AM

It is not a contest.  It is not all or nothing either.  Her beliefs are not Christian. You can both give each other a little space and a little forgiveness.  You don't both have to be self centered brats.

Quoting Anonymous 1:
Quoting SlightlyPerfect: She's hurting right now. Give her some space and just be there for her, especially when she comes to apologize. She will feel even more vulnerable and will need your support.

SlightlyPerfect
by Ruby Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:34 AM
2 moms liked this
But she was involved in arrangements personally. She also holds a belief when we die we still live on in some way, which anesthetizes her to the finality of death and instead makes it a transition. Reconciling that type of belief (she's probably left unquestioned for her whole life) with reality compouds grief in a way those who don't hold that belief don't have to deal with. She has to work through not just death but ideology and a false theology.

I'm not saying one person's grief is worse or better than another's; it's just different, and it manifests differently. You're hurting, too, but you have the means to approach her with clarity and provide a level of emapthy that others might lack.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)