Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nope. Not Doing It...not censoring myself in MY home

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Long story short
A very, very close family friend died

She was only 34.

One of my family members was asked to help with arrangements but she needed a babysitter. I kept her two daughters from Saturday until yesterday. When they got back they told their mom they were confused because I said "I don't believe when you die you become an Angel" mind you, I did say it but I was talking to MY children about OUR beliefs. When I noticed they were listening I emphasized everyone believes differently. Now their mom is calling me telling me I took away the only thing they had to hold on to and I should have kept my beliefs to myself.

Um no buddy I'm not going to stop speaking to MY kids about OUR beliefs in MY HOME. It's not like this is news to you. You knew my beliefs before they came!

Vent over.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 23, 2017 at 11:16 AM
Replies (41-50):
redneckmama4
by Loree on Nov. 23, 2017 at 7:18 PM
You're immediate unless I didn't make you or marry you.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

so i guess you're confused

we are all related

except for the close family friend which may as well have been family

Quoting redneckmama4: On both sides and probably more so their side because it wasn't your family necessarily.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

yes, she really should have considered my children and been empathetic to their pain

you're right

Quoting redneckmama4: Death should bring about empathy.

redbottoms
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 7:19 PM
if you are watching her kids for her for free, she kinda does not get to bitch about it. I don't think you were doing anything wrong to talk to your kids about it and if they overheard that is just how it went down.
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 7:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Why not immediately turn to her kids and say "Even though I don't believe that X is an angel, it is okay and wonderful that you believe that. Now let's go bake some cookies." You could have easily acknowledged both belief systems. And if you were not in a place to do so and watch other kids then you should have declined. Your kids grief does not trump the grief of the other children. 

Are you planning to jump up in the middle of the service if it's religious and start screaming that you believe it's a lie? At a religious service how would you explain it to your own children? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 23, 2017 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope, I'm just not an insensitive douche. I respect other people's feelings even if it is MY HOUSE. I especially care about children's feelings.Just because you CAN be a douche doesn't mean you SHOULD. Btw...your reply to me is so stupid.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

LOL

ANOTHER "WHEN YOU DIE YOU GO TO HEAVEN" TOUTER

Quoting Anonymous 8: You're an insensitive douche.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2017 at 7:32 PM

exactly what I did minus the cookie baking

I acknowledged that it is their belief system

I know exactly what type of service she is having so I will go and if I feel uncomfortable I will leave

Quoting sheramom4:

Why not immediately turn to her kids and say "Even though I don't believe that X is an angel, it is okay and wonderful that you believe that. Now let's go bake some cookies." You could have easily acknowledged both belief systems. And if you were not in a place to do so and watch other kids then you should have declined. Your kids grief does not trump the grief of the other children. 

Are you planning to jump up in the middle of the service if it's religious and start screaming that you believe it's a lie? At a religious service how would you explain it to your own children? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2017 at 7:34 PM

I wasn't a douche

but you certainly are

you're welcome!

Quoting Anonymous 8: Nope, I'm just not an insensitive douche. I respect other people's feelings even if it is MY HOUSE. I especially care about children's feelings.Just because you CAN be a douche doesn't mean you SHOULD. Btw...your reply to me is so stupid.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 23, 2017 at 7:35 PM

What?

Quoting redneckmama4: You're immediate unless I didn't make you or marry you.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

so i guess you're confused

we are all related

except for the close family friend which may as well have been family

Quoting redneckmama4: On both sides and probably more so their side because it wasn't your family necessarily.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

yes, she really should have considered my children and been empathetic to their pain

you're right

Quoting redneckmama4: Death should bring about empathy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Nov. 23, 2017 at 7:35 PM
I'm so glad I'm not like you. I'm glad I think of other people's feelings. Have a good night.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I wasn't a douche

but you certainly are

you're welcome!

Quoting Anonymous 8: Nope, I'm just not an insensitive douche. I respect other people's feelings even if it is MY HOUSE. I especially care about children's feelings.Just because you CAN be a douche doesn't mean you SHOULD. Btw...your reply to me is so stupid.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

LOL

sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 7:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous 1:

exactly what I did minus the cookie baking

I acknowledged that it is their belief system

I know exactly what type of service she is having so I will go and if I feel uncomfortable I will leave

Quoting sheramom4:

If you even have the thought of leaving then just skip it all together and quit acting like this was a good friend. Who leaves a funeral because the service doesn't match their belief system? That is tacky, rude, and disrespectful. SMDH. A good friend stays. 

I am starting to believe you are either trolling or you just couldn't resist the urge to "teach" the guest children in your home your own beliefs. 

Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Nov. 23, 2017 at 7:39 PM

Well it sounds like you did the best you could to smooth it over. Sorry for your loss. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)