Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They gave me my money back

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2017 at 12:24 PM
  • 161 Replies
2 moms liked this
We were going to do a balloon release on thanksgiving day for my son Martin. Since he passed away on thanksgiving 3 years ago, we wanted to do something to honor him.

On Wednesday around 3pm, I purchased 36 balloons, one for each month he's been gone. It came up to $98 something. When I was purchasing them, the young woman ringing them up asked if they were a birthday party. I said that we were doing a balloon release for my son that passed away. At that point, another older female employee told the younger woman, "Oh, that means you don't need to put the stuff in them that makes them stay up since they don't need them that long."

I didn't think anything about. She was right. We didn't need them to last a week or anything.

Well, I got up thanksgiving morning and all 36 balloons were on the floor. We weren't able to do the release. I didn't dwell on it because the day was set up to be great and I wasn't going to allow this one thing to ruin it. No tears allowed this thanksgiving.

Anyway, I didn't keep the receipt because I obviously was not planning on returning them. So, I was a little nervous to go and address it with the store. I went and spoke to a manager this morning and they refunded me entirely without question. He actually gave me $100 back. He also told me that he was going to let them know to not try to make judgements anymore about whether they should put that additive in or not and to just always use it.
by on Nov. 24, 2017 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommaof697
by on Nov. 24, 2017 at 12:27 PM

I am sorry for your loss, glad the store made it right. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Hearing of your loss always makes my heart ache for you. :(

Im sorry the balloon release didnt go well.
We did that (but w/ Doves) for my MIL (cancer sucks) on the first anniversary (plus a few weeks due to bad storm).

Glad they refunded your money.
Lynette
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
You handled that so well. I'm glad you got your money back. Huge hugs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 12:30 PM
19 moms liked this

Balloons are a terrible idea. So bad for the environment. I live off of Lake Michigan and not only does it kill wild life it washes up on beaches and looks terrible. Plant some trees or something.

Trouser.Mouse
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 12:32 PM
Thank you. That's really a great idea. How do you get doves for that?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Hearing of your loss always makes my heart ache for you. :(

Im sorry the balloon release didnt go well.
We did that (but w/ Doves) for my MIL (cancer sucks) on the first anniversary (plus a few weeks due to bad storm).

Glad they refunded your money.
AngryBob
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
She sent people seeds to plant flowers, which was very nice.
But I do agree, balloons, even the biodegradable ones, are very bad for the environment.
Hugs for you during this time.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Balloons are a terrible idea. So bad for the environment. I live off of Lake Michigan and not only does it kill wild life it washes up on beaches and looks terrible. Plant some trees or something.

Starz6802
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I’m sorry. That was actually a pretty heartless thing for her to say.
Trouser.Mouse
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Thank you. It was disappointing, but nothing worth ruining the day for. This was the first thanksgiving since then that we've really been able to enjoy.

Quoting Lynette: You handled that so well. I'm glad you got your money back. Huge hugs.
kissmysass
by Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm glad you didn't kill wild life while trying to honor your son that died.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 12:36 PM

Not only that, but they are a danger to planes, too.

Quoting AngryBob: She sent people seeds to plant flowers, which was very nice. But I do agree, balloons, even the biodegradable ones, are very bad for the environment. Hugs for you during this time.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)