Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our holiday drama - “I could have you arrested!”

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 134 Replies
Okay

Yesterday at Thanksgiving my brother brought his girlfriend and her 5yo son to our family party. We serve dinner buffet style with a little card next to each dish – labeling what it is, “mushrooms gravy” or “vegetarian stuffing” etc.
Everyone makes their own plate

At the end of the buffet we have drinks. Last night with the drinks there was the bowl labeled “hard cider”

Well, the 5yo took some cider without anyone noticing but his mom, and she didn’t read the label
[ETA: She was next to him as he was making his plate- I’m not sure if she poured the cider into the cup, or he did, but she was him when he got it]

1/2 was through the meal she takes a sip from his cup and started freaking out and making a scene

We felt awful! Our kids all know which drinks they can have, and which they can’t, so we never thought to put the cider elsewhere. We had wine & beer on the table too

She said someone should have told her, that she didn’t read the label, and that it was irresponsible to leave alcohol where kids could reach it.
Everyone kept trying to be nice and calm her down, but she just got bitchier

Then she says to my mom, “If you think it’s ok to give kids booze that’s on you, I’m a better mom than that”

I say to her, “Ok, you need to calm down, that was rude”

Her to me “I could have you ARRESTED for POISONING my son!”

Then she storms out saying she’s taking her son to the hospital
My brother ran after her, and called a few hours later to apologize. He said they didn’t go to the hospital, that they just went home

Sooooo that was our fun day

Drinkers, Do your kids know not to touch the alcohol at family parties, or do you have to hide it?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2017 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 1:13 PM
Wow. Was this the first time you all met her? How long have they been together?

I can understand her being upset and I do think someone should have said something to her about the cider just in case but she shouldn't have reacted the way she did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow she is crazy I would have told her that she should have read the labels.
MistressMonster
by Sour Grapes on Nov. 24, 2017 at 1:16 PM
5 moms liked this

Yikes! She sounds like a drama queen. It's her own fault for not paying attention to the labels. Why didn't your brother give her a heads up about the drinks too?

Medic32
by Go PREDS! on Nov. 24, 2017 at 1:17 PM
2 moms liked this
She should have been monitoring her small child better.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2017 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
theyve been dating for almost a year
I’ve met her before, but this is her 1st Hiday with us and the 1st time we met her son

Quoting Anonymous 2: Wow. Was this the first time you all met her? How long have they been together?

I can understand her being upset and I do think someone should have said something to her about the cider just in case but she shouldn't have reacted the way she did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2017 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I kind of agree

Quoting Medic32: She should have been monitoring her small child better.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 1:28 PM
6 moms liked this

umm my son doesn't get his own drink, i get it, and he knows what alcohol is. you can't tell me he didn't wonder why the cider was gross......after the first sip my son would have said something

HOT4TCHR
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Young lady didnt have a useful reaction to an honest mistake.

That said, I think "hard cider" is too vague of a label to use with unfamiliar guests.

Don't text while driving.

---Janice---

redbottoms
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 1:28 PM
typically I do drink around my kids,but I do make sure its not going to be mistaken for anything else or where the kids could get it. Someone probably should have told her. I do think she overreacted though. But she may have just gone into super worried mommy mode.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
None of my kids got their own drinks at 5. Older kids know not to touch the alcohol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)