Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:10 PM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

So say your homeschooled daughter turned 18, and on a trip to visit colleges meets a boy. This being her first boy interest she is incredibly smitten.  Hour long phone calls and face-time chats become the norm.  So, summer after graduation she goes to a federal park to work.  That boys father has a doctorate in animal studies, and "coincidentally" gets a grant to study wolves in the same park and brings his son.  Son is a year younger, and has not graduated high school yet.  Federal park work is hard, and the boy is so cute that your daughter decides to ditch the park and go for a cross country road trip with him.  His parents, footloose and fancy free, think that this girl is such a good influence on their son, who's had trouble in the past and sees a psychologist weekly for some issues, that they invite her to take a "Gap year" and come to live with them in a guest room in their home.  So now, your bright and talented barely an adult child is living in the home of her 17 year old boyfriend working at a retail store, 3 states away.  And she has no plans to go to college until next December, because that is when he will be ready to go.

How would you react?  Would you do anything to try to stop it?

by on Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:13 PM
I would be fucking pissed but there isn’t much you can do. They’re her shitty life choices.
2blessed2bitch
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:15 PM

Would you take back the car you purchased, or drop her from insurance or cell phone plans, ie. manipulate her financially?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I would be fucking pissed but there isn’t much you can do. They’re her shitty life choices.

mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
She's 18. I'd ask her how she planned to support herself. Other than that, I'd ask for her contact info.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:16 PM
This. I would also talk to her and explain how we felt. If I was supporting her financially, I would cease to do it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I would be fucking pissed but there isn’t much you can do. They’re her shitty life choices.
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:17 PM
3 moms liked this
That's not manipulation. That's a natural consequence of moving out.

Quoting 2blessed2bitch:

Would you take back the car you purchased, or drop her from insurance or cell phone plans, ie. manipulate her financially?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:17 PM
She's 18 so you can't stop her. I would cut off all financial help. If you want to fuck off you can do it on your own dime.
Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:17 PM

I'd support her decision no matter how disappointed I was.

It's a good life lesson.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I would be so pissed that I would not be able to see straight. I would do everything in my power to stop it, but I don't know if it would be possible to. At the end of the day, at 18, I could not physically force her to stay home. I would go the bribery route, I guess. I have empathy for any parent facing this situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Nothing she is 18. This is why I dislike homeschool its obvious she wasn't around many boys growing up so of course she is going to jump at the first boy that shows interest.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Probably not, I just wouldn’t buy her anything else. The car has been purchased already, let her keep it. Same with the phone. Make her get her own insurance and pay for her phone to be on your plan. She’s an adult, I wouldn’t have been paying for those things anyway.

Quoting 2blessed2bitch:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)