Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can handle big dogs but throw a little one in the mix and that's a game changer.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
So Dh and I have had big dogs our whole relationship. Dh had a 165 pound rott/ shepherd mix when we met. Sweetest dog in the world. That was 16 years ago. While dating we rescued a pit, 6 months into our marriage we rescued a husky. The first two dogs are no longer with us they passed about 4amd 6 years ago. We have always had more than one dog. Short gaps but mainly always three. We lost our two year old Pitt this spring to cancer. It was aggressive and fast so fast that he was boarding with the vet 2 weeks before he stopped eating. Perfectly normal dog went from normal, happy and healthy to not eating, crying when touched and 3 masses on his body, one in his neck that started to restrict his breathing.
Anyway when he passed after a bit I missed what a puppy brought to the house. We have a 5 year old and a 10 year old dog. After awhile I came across a facebook post that a woman had a litter of puppies that were born on a farm, the farmer wanted nothing to do with them, said they could sleep in the barn but that was it. She took Mom in and was finding homes for the pups. They were 8 weeks. I went and picked one up without even asking Dh. He was pissed. Mainly bc she's a little dog Mom was a min pin.
Well after never having an issue training our huge dogs this girl is giving me a run for my money. She's 6 months I old. Still going to the bathroom in the house, scared to death of everyone and everything besides us and our dogs. She warms up but if the other dog is the least bit turned off it doesn't last.
Yesterday my parents brought their new dog over. Our pup just barked at her non stop and was crying at the same time. I tried everything leash into, side walk intro with leash first thing. Put her in her kennel to calm down. Nothing my dad ended up taking their dog home.
She barks at the dark.
Dh is telling people that come over that she is my dog and he hates her bc he hates little dogs and she's just like every little dog he's ever met.
I want to take her to puppy boot camp but how can I get her over her fear of new people and dogs so I can get her out of the house and to puppy boot camp?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2017 at 7:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 7:37 PM
I don’t like little dogs. Little brain.
ShesSoUnusual
by Cat on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:17 PM

Mayhaps a dog park or a doggy play date with someone who has a little dog? 

I had a Toy Poodle and she was always afraid of everyone but me. But it did help her socialization taking her to dog parks. 

redbottoms
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:19 PM
Min pins are not good dogs in my experience. I have known a few and they were all barky, finnicky, mean and misbehaving.
I have a Bichon Frise and its a small dog and its the best dog I have ever had. Smart, potty trained, can do tricks, friendly, loves all animals and people, tolerant of little kids fucking with him, affectionate.

I think it may be more the Min Pin than a small dog thing
SunshneDaydream
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:28 PM
Did you know anythimg about Min Pins before you got her? Do you walk and train her regularly?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:29 PM
Ugh maybe. She seems smart. She does some tricks. She goes right in her kennel when I say kennel or I'm leaving or it's time for bed followed by her name. She's also fine with kids, any kid messing with her. She comes when called even after she starts barking.

Quoting redbottoms: Min pins are not good dogs in my experience. I have known a few and they were all barky, finnicky, mean and misbehaving.
I have a Bichon Frise and its a small dog and its the best dog I have ever had. Smart, potty trained, can do tricks, friendly, loves all animals and people, tolerant of little kids fucking with him, affectionate.

I think it may be more the Min Pin than a small dog thing
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:32 PM
Little dogs usually annoy me too. They seem to get less annoying the older they get though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:33 PM
I did research and yes but our walks are on our wooded property. Mainly bc our neighbors have a dog that even stresses me out walking past it and we live in a cul da sac so our driveway faces their back yard and the road leading out goes along their entire property. So leaving our house we have a dog barking jumping at us for a bit. It sucks. We have 5 acres in the back of our house we hike on.
I want to take her to the dog park she's just now getting over being car sick every car ride I just don't know how to get her ok around strangers.

Quoting SunshneDaydream: Did you know anythimg about Min Pins before you got her? Do you walk and train her regularly?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:35 PM
I've heard that. She doesn't bark all day. Only if she goes out at night and one of the other dogs are not with her or if a stranger comes to the door but the big dogs do to they stop sooner though. Or if she's around a stranger dog.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Little dogs usually annoy me too. They seem to get less annoying the older they get though.
SunshneDaydream
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:48 PM
Socialization and consistency. Take her with you EVERYWHERE you can and have treats in your pocket or purse 24/7. It will take time but it can be done.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I did research and yes but our walks are on our wooded property. Mainly bc our neighbors have a dog that even stresses me out walking past it and we live in a cul da sac so our driveway faces their back yard and the road leading out goes along their entire property. So leaving our house we have a dog barking jumping at us for a bit. It sucks. We have 5 acres in the back of our house we hike on.
I want to take her to the dog park she's just now getting over being car sick every car ride I just don't know how to get her ok around strangers.

Quoting SunshneDaydream: Did you know anythimg about Min Pins before you got her? Do you walk and train her regularly?
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:51 PM
I'm with your husband. I can't deal with little yippy dogs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)