Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christmas with stepkids? When does Santa come?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies
1 mom liked this
We have 5 kids all total, 3 of mine and 2 of his. Their ages are from 5-15, he has one that still believes in Santa & I have one that does too.

He gets his kids on Christmas Day at noon, so I’m wondering when Santa comes! My kids are here with me 365 days a year. He shares custody with his, so mine will be home on Christmas morning, when Santa gifts are normally opened. He wants to have “one Christmas” with everybody and make my 3 wait until the next morning. I thought that sounded kinda crazy, because his kids will be opening Santa gifts on Christmas morning too, but at their moms house...

I see his point of having one family Christmas. But idk about making mine wait past Christmas...

I’m not trying to be selfish & want all the kids happy. Help me think this through. What’s the best solution?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Santa comes on Christmas. Period. His kids can open their Santa stuff when they get there at noon. He would ruin Santa for his believer because everyone knows Santa only does it once a year.
I.Cant.Even....
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:29 PM
Santa comes on Xmas eve. Period. His kids can get thier Santa gifts when they get there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:31 PM
We have held xmas a day early and also a day late in the past...we dont open gifts unless all children are here period.We are a Family and celebrate at one.
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:33 PM
3 moms liked this

I would just open the gifts at noon on Christmas day. I would have the kids at home do their stockings, make a big breakfast and when everyone is there do the gifts. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:35 PM
See, that’s what I thought. I have the youngest child, 5 years old and I worry about her thoughts on the Santa thing. My older two don’t really much believe anymore, but I still think they’ll feel slighted.

But on the other hand I can see how its excite and fun to have Christmas altogether too.

I’m torn. And I want to really think it through before I talk to him about It again, because its a sensitive subject!

Quoting Anonymous 2: Santa comes on Christmas. Period. His kids can open their Santa stuff when they get there at noon. He would ruin Santa for his believer because everyone knows Santa only does it once a year.
luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:35 PM
Your kids open xmas morning, then when his kids get there everybody gathers around and watches the other kids open theirs.

I would not make children wait, that would be hellacious for everyone. His kids are opening theirs in the morning at their moms. It’s not like anyone will miss out if the others get to open them in the morning.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Just have yours open your gifts in the morning and have them wait until the others get there for Santa gifts. I mean... learning a little compassion on Christmas of all days can't be wrong.
bnj03
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:49 PM
When I was growing up my dad and stepmom would wait for all Santa gifts until I came but would allow the others to open from the parents gifts. This way we could keep the illusion of Santa there and they could still open presents.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:52 PM
We split the day. This year is my day to have him wake up here, so we will do Christmas at about 6am when dh gets home from work so all the kids can be involved and then get him to his dad ASAP so they can do Christmas morning.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 8:59 PM
How does Santa leave gifts? Santa leaves one gift here and the rest are from us. In my situation, they'd have their Santa gifts and unwrap ours later.

At the least, your kids should have gifts on Christmas morning. Maybe not all, but some. Why can't the rest be given at noon?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)