Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Like a normal family

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
DH and I are on vacation with DS.
DS has lots of issues. Adhd, Autism, anxiety, depression and sensory issues. He hates everything. He is sullen and grumpy. He can’t really tolerate a lot of stuff. Smells, lights, noise, all bother him. We have been here a week, and my DS has left the house 1x for 30 minutes. We cant eat out. We cant go anywhere or do anything. DS makes it miserable. Even when you think a kid will like it, he hates it!

My DH saw a place for sale near here. Perfect, affordable. He had me look at pictures and it is nice. He said we could financially swing it, but why would we, “we arent a normal family” who gets to go and do things. Why spend that money to sit inside.

It made me so sad that DH harbors such resentment of our sons limitations. I’m hoping it gets better. DS gets lots of therapy, but he is very resistant and difficult to work with. Many have given up, passed him to superiors, who cant work with him either.

Anyone have any words of advice or wisdom?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:37 PM

How old is your kid?

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:39 PM
I'm sure he is frustrated at the lack of progress your son has made. I can't say that I would feel differently
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:40 PM
There came a point with my sn ds that I had to realize not being normal is overrated. We can do other things as a family that work for us.
And slowly ds has been able to tolerate more.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:40 PM

How old is your kid? Today I FORCED my 13 year old who is on the spectrum out of the house. She threw a FIT! But she came home with a poop emoji pillow and a smile

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:40 PM

Quoting corticosteroid:

How old is your kid?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:40 PM
I can't blame him.
shell3m
by Shell on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:41 PM
How old is he? My oldest is getting better with age. He can processes things a bit better now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:41 PM
I cant exactly give away my child.

Quoting Anonymous 4: I can't blame him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:41 PM

Quoting shell3m: How old is he? My oldest is getting better with age. He can processes things a bit better now.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 24, 2017 at 9:43 PM
What works for you? Nothing has worked for us, yet.
He has apraxia, so he is physically limited as well.

Quoting Anonymous 2: There came a point with my sn ds that I had to realize not being normal is overrated. We can do other things as a family that work for us.
And slowly ds has been able to tolerate more.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)