Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Excuse me, you don’t have the baby.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 102 Replies
My stepdaughter gave me temporary guardianship of her 9 month old baby. I have had her in my custody since October and will have her at least until April. Sd informed me a couple of days ago that she is now getting food stamps for her, the father, and the baby. I wasn’t too happy bc she isn’t raising the baby, therefore, shouldn’t be getting assistance for her. I am getting wic for the baby, and they just switched it from the moms name to mine. My question is, what can be done regarding the food stamps she is receiving for the baby. This is clearly fraud and they provide zero support for their child.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2017 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 25, 2017 at 12:43 AM
4 moms liked this
I'd say that depends on how difficult you want to make the situation
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 25, 2017 at 12:44 AM
10 moms liked this

contact the food stamp office,show them the temporary guardianship papers. They will take care of it.

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 12:44 AM
8 moms liked this

You call the fraud hot line.  

If you see or hear about SNAP fraud, tell us. Help us protect your tax dollars. 

FNS takes aggressive measures to fight all fraud. We appreciate the help of concerned citizens

Fraud reports of any kind may be filed with the USDA Office of Inspector General.

• Call
    • (800) 424-9121
    • (202) 690-1622
    • (202) 690-1202 (TDD)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 25, 2017 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with this. If you hope to stay in the baby's life, I'm not sure that I would want to make things harder for the parents. It sounds like they will need these food stamps and for all you know it is one of the steps they had to accomlish in order to have their child BACK. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'd say that depends on how difficult you want to make the situation

alimom08
by Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 12:50 AM
What happened with her life that you have temp guardianship? For the food stamps you call the social services building or the state and report fraud because you have the baby. If she did sign custody over to you, even temporary, can sign it back to her or I thought she would have to be proven by social services (court) to have her child back in her custody to make sure she is providing correctly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 25, 2017 at 12:51 AM
Just curious, how would this be a step to get their child back?

Quoting Anonymous 4:

I agree with this. If you hope to stay in the baby's life, I'm not sure that I would want to make things harder for the parents. It sounds like they will need these food stamps and for all you know it is one of the steps they had to accomlish in order to have their child BACK. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: I'd say that depends on how difficult you want to make the situation

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 25, 2017 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Report it to the welfare office.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 25, 2017 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

It would depend on why she gave you temporary guardianship in the first place. If the idea is for your step dd to give up custody until she can get on her feet, then it makes sense that being on assistance would be part of that. She may need to prove that she has some stability, whether is of her own doing or by way of assistance. That is espcially true if she is fearful for any reason that you won't give the baby back and will try to keep it. Hopefully, that's not what you have in mind. But it would help your step dd in court to be able to say that she's done all she can with tapping resources in order to care for her child.  

Quoting Anonymous 1: Just curious, how would this be a step to get their child back?
Quoting Anonymous 4:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 25, 2017 at 12:55 AM
Contact the nearest food stamp office and tell them what is going on. You will have to have the custody arrangements signed to present to them either in person, email or fax.SD and the babies father will not be able to reapply for six months due to food stamp fraud.They will have to pay back whatever they received for the baby while in your custody.If you need you can apply for food stamps for the baby and possibly the household depending on the income of any working residents
boymomma07
by on Nov. 25, 2017 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Report her.

Quoting Anonymous 1: My stepdaughter gave me temporary guardianship of her 9 month old baby. I have had her in my custody since October and will have her at least until April. Sd informed me a couple of days ago that she is now getting food stamps for her, the father, and the baby. I wasn’t too happy bc she is raising the baby, therefore, shouldn’t be getting assistance for her. I am getting wic for the baby, and they just switched it from the moms name to mine. My question is, what can be done regarding the food stamps she is receiving for the baby. This is clearly fraud and they provide zero support for their child.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)