Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please help me settle this!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 83 Replies
I asked dh to please gift me something for Christmas. I had a list of things I like because I can be hard to shop for. Besides with the list there’s still some sense of surprise. He said that he would give me the money so I can it myself. I told him that that doesn’t count as a real gift because I’m buying it. He says it does count because he shelled out the money.

So if someone gives you money to buy yourself a something, is that considered a gift?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iampavlov
by RingTheBell on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this

yes

emandab
by Platinum Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:18 AM
4 moms liked this
But a lame one.

Quoting iampavlov:

yes

ranchmama21
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:18 AM
Yes, I consider money a gift (I like gift cards as well).

But....sounds as though he desires/purposely lacks the effort of wanting to try to get you something. Either out of laziness or fear (that you won't be happy).

At the end of the day, he can be telling you this and yet already got or will get you a gift.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:19 AM
Duh
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:20 AM
Yep its actually basically all I will except unless its online and I put it in the person's cart and order it myself. Now if someone randomly buys me a present I won't turn my nose up but I hate surprises.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:21 AM
Not for Christmas or anniversaries. That works for birthdays and just because...
Well as far as I'm concerned anyways.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:23 AM
I don’t consider it a gift if I have to tell them. Doesn’t matter who physically buys, if I have to say “ buy this” I still don’t consider it a gift.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes,but it's sad
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:25 AM
And to add, yes, I consider money a gift. I’d prefer it. Not only do I get what I want, but I also get the fun of shopping.
propswife
by on Nov. 25, 2017 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this

It would depend on who it was from whether I would consider it a gift.  If my husband did that, no.  If he is having a hard time finding something, he'll take me shopping to buy stuff.  My mom's mother used to give me money to shop and then I'd go show her what she bought for me.  She got a kick out of seeing whatever I got.  My dad's mom would have me shop with her credit cards and then take it back to her so she could wrap it and suprise me with what was in which package.  It became a huge game between us.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)