Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They called cps because I left him alone

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My 8 year old. For 2 minutes in the car while I ran my daughter into daycare... I’ve been doing this since September and a parent said something. He has a phone, he stays seated and buckled, I have the keys and the door is locked. He knows the rules he FOLLOWS the rules. He doesn’t even budge he just watches his video or plays minecraft. She told me she would have to report it to cps because it’s child abuse/neglect.
He’s 8, and very mature. He wasn’t last year so I would bring him in. I wouldn’t leave my kid there if he was scared or couldn’t handle it.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2017 at 8:34 AM
Replies (301-310):
booklover74
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 10:29 AM
It is not illegal to be alone a car at 8 in the majority of states. It is also not illegal to be home alone at 8 in most states. Guidelines are not laws.

Home alone ages do not apply to cars. If your state has a law that says you must be 10 to be home alone, that does not nean yoy must also be 10 to be alone in a car. If the state has car laws they will be listed seperately.

Always know your laws and understand the wording and how it applies.

Mandated reporters are not required to report any and everything and let CPS sort it out. Mandated reporters have guidelines and training (even minor training works) on what is actual abuse and neglect so they can spot it. A difference in parenting approaches, such as an 8 year old staying alone in a car for a couple minutes, does not make neglect standards. It makes busy body standards.

A daycare worker is not going to report 3rd hand info, based on a parental opinion, to CPS. CPS woukdn't take the report seriously and as a mandated reporter they actually need to be able to varify that tgey witnessed the neglect or abuse or saw the marks and such. "A parent told me another parent left their 8 year old in the car for a couple minutes"...... Nope not going to happen.if the daycare has actual concern they might mention it to you but that will be the extent of it.

OP, i would not be the least bit worried about this. You won't hear from CPS because there is nothing to investigate, daycare had nothing to report and if the other parent reports it, the report will be filed under busy body or get to it the moment actual reports of abuse stop coming in. You did nothing wrong or dangerous.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 76 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 11:52 AM

You did speak about the law and I can tell you with complete confidence that when a call comes in like this, many factors determine if it is investigated or not.

Quoting emeliasmom814: Not quite sure if you replied to my comment or not. I was posting what the law is. In the eyes of the law, all of the factors you listed don't matter.
Quoting Anonymous 76: I live in Massachusetts and thete are many factors that are considered when thinking about a child home alone including the safety of the home and neighborhood and adults close by who are a resource along with competencies and capability of the child and the length of time, if it is day or night.
Quoting emeliasmom814:

Quoting sbilyeu75:

What state do you live in where 8 year olds can legally babysit?? Kids in Massachusetts have to be 11 to be left home alone. Any child 10 or under left home alone is considered "Abandonment of a child". I would NEVER have let an 8 year old babysit my daughter.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

I would never leave a child that young alone for 2 mins or 10 in a car its just lazy neglectful parenting imo. My kids never stayed alone in a car till they were 12 or 13. My kids always came with me to drop off siblings.  

Well, that's weird.  I mean...in my state, they can be babysitters and be responsible for other children.  Besides that, at 12 and 13 they are just 2-3 years from driving and having jobs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 90 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 12:00 PM
Oh lord. My kids are 8 and 10 and they hate always having to go in places. If I decide the scenario is safe, then I let them. Legally here at 8 they can walk home alone, at 10 a child can be left at home alone for short periods, and at 12 they can babysit other kids. We live on base, it doesn’t get much safer. I think people should mind their own business. I find it fascinating that a child can legally walk home alone from school but people have a problem with them sitting in a locked comfortable car for 5-10 minutes with a parent close by!

Quoting Anonymous 5:

I would never leave a child that young alone for 2 mins or 10 in a car its just lazy neglectful parenting imo. My kids never stayed alone in a car till they were 12 or 13. My kids always came with me to drop off siblings.  

violetstar20
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 12:23 PM

One time, I had to get gas. I tried paying at the pump but the card reader didn't work. The baby was napping and I didn't want to wake her up. I left my 11 year old ds with her while I ran inside and pay for gas. I was nervous that someone was gonna call the cops on me. I didn't take long since the line wasn't long. I avoid doing that if I can.

7Kelle
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha!I still hold my 20 year old hand when we cross the street!!Heck,she holds my hand just walking down the street.I automatically try to do that with my boys(22&18)on the rare times they walk somewhere with me!!😂😂

Quoting LuvHugs429:

You are ridiculous. Do you hold their hands while crossing the street still?? God forbid little Johnny go off by himself LOL

Quoting Anonymous 5:

doodlebopfan
by on Dec. 7, 2017 at 1:33 PM
http://www.imom.com/home-alone-rules-state

Not sure if this was posted yet. Shows lots of differences in guidelines or laws state to state. Hope this helps.
LuvHugs429
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2017 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so sweet!!!

Quoting 7Kelle: Haha!I still hold my 20 year old hand when we cross the street!!Heck,she holds my hand just walking down the street.I automatically try to do that with my boys(22&18)on the rare times they walk somewhere with me!!😂😂
Quoting LuvHugs429:

You are ridiculous. Do you hold their hands while crossing the street still?? God forbid little Johnny go off by himself LOL

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 7, 2017 at 7:20 PM
Nothing happened. Thank you :)

Quoting booklover74: It is not illegal to be alone a car at 8 in the majority of states. It is also not illegal to be home alone at 8 in most states. Guidelines are not laws.

Home alone ages do not apply to cars. If your state has a law that says you must be 10 to be home alone, that does not nean yoy must also be 10 to be alone in a car. If the state has car laws they will be listed seperately.

Always know your laws and understand the wording and how it applies.

Mandated reporters are not required to report any and everything and let CPS sort it out. Mandated reporters have guidelines and training (even minor training works) on what is actual abuse and neglect so they can spot it. A difference in parenting approaches, such as an 8 year old staying alone in a car for a couple minutes, does not make neglect standards. It makes busy body standards.

A daycare worker is not going to report 3rd hand info, based on a parental opinion, to CPS. CPS woukdn't take the report seriously and as a mandated reporter they actually need to be able to varify that tgey witnessed the neglect or abuse or saw the marks and such. "A parent told me another parent left their 8 year old in the car for a couple minutes"...... Nope not going to happen.if the daycare has actual concern they might mention it to you but that will be the extent of it.

OP, i would not be the least bit worried about this. You won't hear from CPS because there is nothing to investigate, daycare had nothing to report and if the other parent reports it, the report will be filed under busy body or get to it the moment actual reports of abuse stop coming in. You did nothing wrong or dangerous.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 91 on Dec. 7, 2017 at 11:00 PM
http://nj1015.com/pets-left-in-hot-cars-are-protected-in-nj-but-not-children/

Quoting Anonymous 1: I’m in NJ and I can’t really find our law on it

Quoting Momma2Warriors: Depends on your state. Here in Pennsylvania i would have laughed in their face. It is only illegal if the kid is under 6.
sbilyeu75
by on Dec. 8, 2017 at 7:18 AM

I'm in Ohio.  There is no minimum age for leaving kids home alone or to babysit.  The Red Cross recognizes age 11 as being old enough to take their babysitting course.  They also state that infants and toddlers should be monitored at all times.

http://www.eriecounty.oh.gov/departments-and-agencies/social-resources/job-and-family-services/children-services/children-services-faqs/

I babysat my niece and nephew when I was 8-9 years old and one of the is autistic.  This was also at (gasp) night!

My 9 year old daughter has been mother helping to a lady down the street.  Yes, the lady is in the home, but she leaves my daughter responsible for her 1 year old while she goes to a different floor in the house, shuts the door and does school work.  This is so, my daughter will have references for when she's old enough to take the babysitting class at 11 and can be left alone with little children.

Quoting emeliasom814:

Quoting sbilyeu75:

What state do you live in where 8 year olds can legally babysit?? Kids in Massachusetts have to be 11 to be left home alone. Any child 10 or under left home alone is considered "Abandonment of a child". I would NEVER have let an 8 year old babysit my daughter.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Well, that's weird.  I mean...in my state, they can be babysitters and be responsible for other children.  Besides that, at 12 and 13 they are just 2-3 years from driving and having jobs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)