Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Called to principals office...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 261 Replies
I'm a teacher and the principal called me in today. He did not agree with me not allowing a student to go on a field trip today. The student went AWOL yesterday, and I did not feel comfortable sending him on this trip after that. I did not go on the trip. I am his special education teacher.

The principal said the trip isn't a reward or punishment, and I should have just sent him. What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:28 PM
9 moms liked this
I think the principal should support you as the teacher. He/She is undermining your authority.
Reading.Rainbow
by Mad Martigan on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Does that mean he ditched school , or you couldn't find him inside the school for a while?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:29 PM
3 moms liked this
Yeah i dont think you can single handedly make that decision. You should have spoken with your boss.
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:30 PM

Is it your call? What do you mean that he went AWOL and where you afraid he would get lost or something?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:30 PM
I agree with him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:30 PM
That's how I felt, but he is my boss. :(. The student is emotionally disturbed, and I had concerns about his behavior on a trip I wouldn't be on.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I think the principal should support you as the teacher. He/She is undermining your authority.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:31 PM
4 moms liked this
I think you did the right thing the last thing anyone wants is for the kid to have a melt down outside of school....
GayleTX
by on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:31 PM
8 moms liked this

27 years as a school counselor here.......you did the right thing....you were the ones closest to the situation.....you know the kid....if he went AWOL yesterday he's got a problem or trouble brewing somewhere in his life.  You did the right thing. The Principal is a jackass.....oh, wait, that's MY principal.......anyhow.....you did the right thing.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:31 PM
2 moms liked this
How does a SN student go AWOL? Completely depends on the degree of disability. The principal just doesn't want to deal with the parents.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 5, 2017 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess I would need to know more about the student and his disorder to make that call. I can definitely see how it could come off as punitive. I can also see it as being precautionary.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)