Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hanukkah in school?? Thoughts?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 257 Replies
My dds elementary school is doing a “holidays around the world” thing. Every class has a different one and it rotates by week. Hers is Israel/Hanukkah. Well she had a parent come in and teach the Driedle game. I think it was pretty inappropriate to teach something religious to kids without their parents permission, and I complained to the pronciple but haven’t heard back yet. Am I out of line here? Just seems like something we should’ve been informed of
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TB78
by Tasha on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:14 PM
21 moms liked this
If they will be learning all religious holiday traditions I see nothing wrong with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:15 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm guessing the pronciple is busy.

How is the dreidel game any more religious than a Christmas tree?
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:15 PM
Do they pit up Christmas decorations?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:15 PM
29 moms liked this

Oh FFS. It's good for kids to know about ALL cultures and religion. It helps keep them from being close minded, ignorant idiots.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:16 PM
5 moms liked this
I would love for my son to have that experience. Part of a good education is learning about the belief system and traditions of others.
HOT4TCHR
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:16 PM
15 moms liked this

Spinning a dreidle isn't religious.  There is literally nothing religious about it.  It's a game.  More, it's a game with math.  You'll only make yourself look silly if you complain about it having made no effort to learn about it.

Don't text while driving.

---Janice---

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:16 PM
10 moms liked this
You’re joking right?!?
So Christmas/Santa/decorating is fine but god forbid they learn about s different holiday?!?
Get your stick out of your butthole.
It’s not like they’re being loaded into vans, circumcised, and shipped off to Israel to become rabbis.
They listened to a story and played a game!

😤🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️
ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:16 PM
6 moms liked this
Stop being closed minded and uptight. My God. What is wrong with people? Why have we become a Society of whiners, complainers and tattletales?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:17 PM
I loved my kid learning about different religions. I don’t push my thoughts/beliefs on my kids. They are raised with them present but if they choose something else I’m all for it. So having them get exposed at school is 100% ok in my book
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 6, 2017 at 6:17 PM
5 moms liked this
It’s a top game, not a conversion attempt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)